PDA

View Full Version : Relics, old silver and a very strange coin

BTV Digger
06-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Hi folks. Hope all is well with you and you're discovering history when you can! Had the opportunity to get out a few times in the last two weeks. On the first hunt I decided to detect a well-hit cellar hole about a half an hour from me which is right along a well used dirt road. This site also had a nearby sawmill back in the 1800s but after trekking through the woods to find it, the foundation had a hunting cabin built right by it with modern trash thrown all over the place. Ugh. :bangahead02: So went back to the cellar hole and pulled an old pocket knife, some sort of plate with a Pat date of Feb 1880 on it. Pretty mundane but with the pat date I kept it. Top of an early hot plate or stove? Dunno. Also pulled a fairly well preserved can of Burley and Bright pipe tobacco from the 1940s or 50s. Post dates the site so a hunter drop most likely.

A few days later I hit a small old park here in town and pulled a '41 Jeff, two wheats ('29 and '41) and a 1950s transit token. Nothing special there, but heck, the transit token interested me nonetheless.

Yesterday I spent several hours on an old cart road in northeast VT with fellow American Detectorist Forum member and friend DavidGC. This is the same road where I found the fatty indian and crotal bell on my last post. Finds were few and far between but did pull an old spoon and two nice coins. First was a head scratcher, but my 13 year old son was determined to ID it once I got it home. Turns out it's a 1938 Egyptian 10 millemes with King Farouk on the obverse. Kudos to the kid's internet search prowess. What that was doing in the woods of the Northeast Kingdom of VT...who knows! :thinkingabout:Best find of the day was 1800s silver - an 1899 Barber Dime in VF condition. Only 3 inches down in the lily beds in front of an older foundation. A common Philly mintage but heck, I'll take it. Headed to California for a long needed vacation with the family over the next few weeks so the detecting will take a hiatus for a bit, but I'll be sure to check in from time to time. Keep finding the goods and HH!

John

Digger_O'Dell
06-29-2017, 07:08 PM
Very nice finds, and great ID on the Egyptian coin. Very nice looking Barber too!
Enjoy the vacation th Cali! Too bad you couldn't hit some of those old mining camps while there. I hear there's quite a few gold coins lost in those places.

Lodge Scent
06-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Nice finds John. After Tut's tomb was discovered in the 1920's, I think anything Egyptian was all the rage for quite a while. Maybe it was someone's good luck piece.

aloldstuff
06-29-2017, 08:00 PM
John, enjoy your vacation.

Some nice finds especially the Barber and your son id'ing that Egyptian coin....priceless.

del
06-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Congrats on the pre 1900 dime John and kudos to your son for id'ing the Egyptian coin !! Enjoy your trip out west my friend .

Dan

OxShoeDrew
06-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Nice going, John! I hope you all enjoy your vacation. I like to vacation in Vermont :lol: congrats to your son for the id!