PDA

View Full Version : Detecting with Don & Noah--Amazing coin spill!

Full Metal Digger
07-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Hey Diggers,
We haven't had any rain for the last 4 weeks here in southern Illinois but it's been raining a lot up north. I successfully convinced my wife and kids I needed to drive up to Chicago to do a day of detecting! I drove up Friday afternoon and met Don from some door knocking. We detected 3 different homes and my best find was an Indian Head Cent. He also got an Indian Head Cent... plus 3 silvers.

Saturday we met up with Noah at a park that he frequents. This park has produced seated coins in the past but is now down to few and far between good finds. Don and I each found a mercury dime and a wheat cent or two. After 2 hours I was ready to go door knocking. We started the morning door knocking in town but our luck was not so good. At this point we decided to go driving in the country and look for old farm houses. We found two old farms and got yesses at both of them. The bulk of our good finds (or should I say MY good finds...tee hee) came at these farms.

Without a doubt my best find of the day was a 7-silver coin spill! This beat my old record of 6 silvers in a spill. The coins just kept coming out of the ground! Don came over to watch me as I pulled one silver after another out of the ground.

It was a great day and I enjoyed meeting and detecting with Noah. He seems pretty good at getting yesses from the home owners. But we did get kicked off one of his permissions! The gentleman of the house gave us permission but then his husband came out and kicked us off (yes, you read that right).

Here is some pics, thanks for looking!

Digger Don
07-02-2017, 03:03 PM
What a fantastic day you had Dave. Those 2 farm houses changed everything. It was fun watching you pulling out all those mercs & SLQ.
Just when I thought you were done, you say "it's got a friend", and it did!!

For those of you reading this, We stopped at the coin spill house first but nobody was home. Dave kept saying how perfect the yard was and that he wanted to go back there some time. A couple hours into the next house, I took a drive to the nearest gas station. on the way back I noticed a truck at the first farm, I stopped, got a yes and the rest is history.
I think Dave knew when he first saw that house that it was holding treasure just waiting for him.
:congrats: Dave. As always, I had a blast hunting with you. Although next time could you please leave a couple of old coins for me to find! Thanks!:lolsign:

Digger_O'Dell
07-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Great set of hunts! Awesome silver spill too! The excessive rain "up north" has really put a damper on hunting. Was planning a trip to the Chicago area today but was flooded put once again. So I'm glad to Ser someone is getting out and finding the goods!
:congrats:

aloldstuff
07-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Gee Dave, Don is begging you to leave something good for the other guys...:lol:. Nice productive hunt and congrats on all those keepers plus that incredible silver spill...:thumbsup02:

Ill Digger
07-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Man Dave! That's a mess of IH cents for one day! Wow! :wow:
How's that rank on the "Most IHs in one day" chart?
It's gotta be up there close to the top!
Those big silver spills sure she fun! Rare, but alotta fun!:yahoo:
Congrats buddy!:grin:

Lodge Scent
07-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Yow! That's a heck of a hunt !

Tony Two-Cent
07-03-2017, 09:48 AM
You had another exciting hunt, Dave! That coin spill is amazing! I don't think I've ever seen that many silver coins in a spill before. Very cool that there was an SLQ in there with it. Remember not too long ago when you hadn't found any SLQs? Now you are finding them left and right! :thumbsup01:

That 1882 Indian Head is gorgeous too! :loveit:

:congrats:

Bucknut
07-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Yet ANOTHER inspirational post by you! You sir are kicking butt this year with so many great old finds!

OxShoeDrew
07-03-2017, 01:05 PM
So Don had to get gas? Most likely had gas. :lol: I was actually wondering what park and residence hunters do after 4hrs when nature calls. I guess you hold it when you're pulling coins like that!! Great job as always Dave!

wisconsin digger
07-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Man you guys had another great hunt. Great silver spill. Hope there's a video to follow. WD

milco
07-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Fantastic hunt Dave! Great finds, looks like a productive road trip!

MangoAve
07-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Grats on all those finds, esp a silver spill. That 1882 is in incredible shape. My best was only 1898. Everything I got from the 1880s weren't that great.

Nice Chinese coin find too. Looks more like the Hsuan Tsung coin which is 1821-1850. Still a good find.