PDA

View Full Version : Got a sweet Merc and some wheats...

Jack Flynn
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I've changed the places I hunt and it's made my quality of finds go up a lot. Yesterday afternoon I dug a nice merc and several wheats along with some clad. I started using Angel's settings on the ETrac he listed here. Using the long tone really helps uncover the targets in the trashy old home site lots I've been hunting lately. Dug this 42 merc at 9 plus inches in the trash. It sang like a bird when the coil saw it.

RobW
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
she's pretty!!!!

tanacat
08-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Congrats on the silver! Wow 9 in the trash :shocked04:stretcher: I've never dug one that deep with my XLT. All of my mercs have been about 3 or 4 in my Kentucky soil... I think because they've been in well manicured lawns for all these years? It's amazing how some old coins are shallow and others so deep...

coinnut
08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Nice detail on that Merc :clapping: I gotta try and stick to long tones lol I just can't get the hang of it, but I'm gonna try it one more time. Changing places does make a huge difference in what you find. Congrats on a sweet looking dime!

Jack Flynn
08-26-2010, 06:52 PM
One thing I can say, I equipped my ETtrac with an X1 probe. I usually give up when using the Garrett pro pointer I'm fixing to sell because I think a target just might not be there. It's digging inspiration hearing that high pitched warble through the headphones with the probe down in a hole. :cheering:I'll never be without a sunray probe from this point on.

coinnut
08-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I love that Sunray probe lol On a good day I can get 3 with it. But most of the time it's about 2. That's all I need since I dig the plug to the depth of the indicator, so I'm usually about an inch away. And that silver tone is like eating ice cream on a warm summer day with the best looking girl in your arms rofl Well almost like that. ;) I'll never be with out a Sunray probe. It makes the hunt more exciting and I learn a lot about iffy signals when I open the plug and use the probe. Money well spent.

z118
08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Nice dig! I've got to get some new sites myself. I've hunted my old ones silly. I'm hoping to squeeze a few more keepers out with the E-Trac, but even that won't last forever. Congrats!