PDA

View Full Version : Gold, Silver and the best Return EVER!

Pastpursuits
07-19-2017, 06:39 PM
I went to a swim area with a beach about a half hour from my house on Sunday morning and did a four hour hunt starting at about 6:30am

Here are all the finds:

Got Some Silver:

Here is where the story gets good!!! I Got Gold!!!!

This was a class ring from the high school of the town I was detecting from 1958 with the initials B L

My wife jumped on her tablet and started to look for a yearbook from that high school for that year and found it!!! Only one student had those initials and here is her picture:

I had her maiden name so I went to my computer and looked for any phone number with that last name. I called a number and a guy named Bill answered: I said "Hi Sir, I'm trying to locate a lady named Barbara L who graduated from WHS in 1958"...He says...well that's my sister Barb! I filled him in on what I found and that I wanted to give it back to her and he gave me her number and did me the favor of letting her know I would be calling. He said give me five minutes before you call and I will call you back if I don't get in touch with her.

Five minutes later I called and she picked up instantly and we had a great conversation about the class ring. She told me at the end of her Junior year in 1957 they were able to order their class rings through Jostens so they would have them before Senior year started. Just about a month after she got it that summer she took swimming lessons at that lake and lost it! That ring was at the bottom of the lake for 60 years!!!!

She said if she wanted anything she had to work and pay for things herself (same here)...she thought the ring was four to six dollars and her Senior pictures were eleven dollars back then.

I asked if I could bring the ring to her that day if at all possible and she said I'm 50 miles away but come when you can so my wife and I jumped in the truck and headed her way!!!

She sent me this photo of the ring return:

We got home from the return at about 5:30pm on the same day I found it!!!

This was always on my bucket list to return a ring!!! After that I don't need a bucket list because nothing and I mean NOTHING will top that!!

Happy Hunting
PP

Digger_O'Dell
07-19-2017, 09:13 PM
Huge congrats on the find, and more so on the return! Sometimes things just work out. :clapping:

Bucknut
07-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Awesome job! Great write up and congrats on the finds!

Tony Two-Cent
07-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Great story and an awesome gesture on your part! Have you considered submitting this story to your local newspaper, or perhaps to one of the treasure magazines? (With the ring owner's permission, of course.) I think it's a heart-warming human interest story.

Kudos to you! :clapping:

The Rebel
07-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Awesome job!

Full Metal Digger
07-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Thank you for doing that. I'm always glad to read stories where someone brings a little happiness into the world.

Winmeek
07-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Great story!

milco
07-20-2017, 09:00 PM
That's an amazing return! I think we should all have that on the top of our bucketlists, great job!

Fire Fighter 43
07-20-2017, 10:52 PM
Great story and congrats on an awesome return. You have done the hobby good, WTG.

aloldstuff
07-21-2017, 09:57 AM
WOW, what a great story. Kudos for the return and for being an ambassador for the hobby. :perfect10:

bamaart
08-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Fantastic !!!

CoinKeepCheep
08-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Those are some great finds! Congratulations, Pastpursuits (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/member.php?2400-Pastpursuits)! :)

Ill Digger
09-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Great story, great write up, great photos. And that's a great thing you did!
Congrats on the find! [emoji16]
I bet she was ecstatic to hear she was going to get it back.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

wisconsin digger
09-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Great post, your right there is no better feeling in detecting then returning a ring. Great photo on the return. Thx for posting