PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Confederate Saber Hook / I think!!

Digger Don
07-23-2017, 01:31 AM
I dug this today. It's hook with a snake on it.
My son found the same one one-bay and it says it's a Confederate Civil War Saber Hook.
I know with all the knowledgable people on this forum that someone has seen one before.
What do you think? Civil War?

Lodge Scent
07-23-2017, 07:25 AM
That would be beyond cool Don. I hope it is !

aloldstuff
07-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Dang, was waiting to see if a guru chimed in. What ever it is its a very cool find.

del
07-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Don , there has been some debate as to exactly what these things are .... Horse harness hook or a sword snap hook or hanger !! I feel because they do resemble and have characteristics of many of the "wire type" sword hangers of the civil war era that these are indeed a type of sword or belt accoutrement . Here is a link to a very similar one like yours , scroll down to picture or item TL951 for a description .

http://www.tennesseelead.com/page-four.html

Digger Don
07-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Don , there has been some debate as to exactly what these things are .... Horse harness hook or a sword snap hook or hanger !! I feel because they do resemble and have characteristics of many of the "wire type" sword hangers of the civil war era that these are indeed a type of sword or belt accoutrement . Here is a link to a very similar one like yours , scroll down to picture or item TL951 for a description .

Thanks Dan, actually it looks identical to the one I dug. Very Cool, Thanks

BTV Digger
07-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Wow, Dan, you are the master of pointing us all in the right direction on a lot of these pieces sir! Always impressed by your knowledge. Don - much congrats on a wonderful find!

John