PDA

View Full Version : Oh so pretty!

Bucknut
08-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Here are my finds from the last 3 weeks or so. It has been very dry here lately so I have been detecting parks and other public spots only. If I did any doorknocking then I would be giving the homeowner's yards Chicken Pox.

What do you think of that fob thing? It is not a fob but what I think is interesting is that it has the impression of the same eagle design as what is on the back of a Seated Quarter. Found it at a park that dates back to the mid 1800's so I am thinking it is old. The top part is broken off.

I took the kids to a school I have done well at last weekend and was very surprised to pull 2 silvers and a sterling ring. My boys just shook their heads at me. There is also a toasted token that I can read 2 1/2 cents on it. Too bad it is not prettier.

Speaking of pretty...I went out last night to yet another spot I have hammered and did quite well. I found a nice 1930 merc, 1918 Buff in great shape and the prettiest Indian (1900) of the year for me. Wish they all looked this good! Can even see the diamonds on her ribbon. Puts a smile on my face.

What do you guys think of this chunk of copper I found? I know that there are a few of you guys in Wisconsin (I think anyways) that have found natural copper. Is it called "float" copper? Anywho the area I found it would be a main port where the old steamers that were carrying it would stop and even process it I believe. Much Copper was mined up in the UP of Michigan. So I think it is possible this is natural copper. But maybe it is just some melted copper.

Well that felt good to make a post again. Hoping for rain. Thanks for looking. Jared.

Digger_O'Dell
08-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Dome really nice silvers, and that IH is a beauty! As for the copper, it's hard to say. Float copper is smooth and usually rounded from being rolled around and run over by the glaciers.

wisconsin digger
08-10-2017, 11:56 PM
Nice batch of coins. We are definitely in the dry days of August. Congrats WD

Donnie B
08-11-2017, 05:59 AM
I love tokens and collected them for years. The 2 1/2 cents denomination was mostly used by bars or saloons. Can you make out a name on the token?

Bucknut
08-11-2017, 08:16 AM
I love tokens and collected them for years. The 2 1/2 cents denomination was mostly used by bars or saloons. Can you make out a name on the token?

It is made out of aluminum and the ground was not so kind to it. I can get some letters or numbers here and there not I can't figure out what it says though unfortunately. The other side is uglier than the one shown.

Donnie B
08-11-2017, 06:51 PM
It is made out of aluminum and the ground was not so kind to it. I can get some letters or numbers here and there not I can't figure out what it says though unfortunately. The other side is uglier than the one shown.

Most of the aluminum tokens I have dug were the same. Sometimes, you get lucky and find a really nice one which is why I like finding aluminum tokens.

Pastpursuits
08-12-2017, 09:24 AM
Great finds!!! That IH is sweet and love the token!!!

PP

milco
08-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Great finds there! Like was said, float copper is usually rounded and smooth, my guess is that is from a fire. That IH is a stunner!

aloldstuff
08-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Great group of keepers, that 1900 IH is a beauty.