PDA

View Full Version : Downright Dandy Detecting Day with Daddy Digger and Digger Don

Tony Two-Cent
08-14-2017, 12:21 PM
This past Saturday I met up with Daddy Digger and Digger Don in northern Illinois for some metal detecting. I haven't been out much this year, so it was nice to get out for a long hunt! On Saturday we hunted a couple of houses in town and a couple of farms in the country. We all had productive hunts and we each got silver.

This huge barn was at one of the farms we hunted on Saturday. So massive and majestic! This photo doesn't do it justice.

On Sunday Dave had to go home so me and Don detected a couple more houses in town, but they didn't produce much. We got permission at two farms and we each got an Indian Head and a few relics.

Here are my finds for the weekend before they were cleaned:

How I had missed the beautiful Indian Heads that come out of the central and northern Illinois soil. I ended up with five of them.

All three of these V Nickels came from the same front yard of a rural farm house.

I also found three Buffalo Nickels. One of them was stuck to a wheat cent and the reverse is still shiny.

This 1900-S Barber Dime was in a spill with three Wheat Cents. The Barber Dime was stuck to a Wheat Cent face-to-face, so the obverse of the Barber Dime is somewhat tarnished.

After going 54+ years without finding a single Type I Standing Liberty Quarter, I have now found two of them back-to-back! What are the odds? I found my first one on February 26 of this year. I found my second one on Saturday.

Here are some of the relics and miscellaneous items I found:

This is a mystery item. One side is thick glass, the other side is brass. It appears to have been attached to something at one point. Any ideas?

As always, it was a blast detecting with Dave and Don! We always have fun together and the finds are just a bonus. :beerbuddy:

Digger Don
08-14-2017, 01:00 PM
It was great getting together with you Tony. It's been way too long. You dug yourself a nice variety of finds. Too bad Dave took the mojo home with him Sunday morning. Trying to find a farm house Sunday was brutal, but at least we didn't get skunked!!
Congrats on all the pretty green Indians, nickels and silvers, especially the SLQ:clapping:
Take care and happy:detecting:

Digger_O'Dell
08-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Congrats Tony on a great hunt, those IHs look great, and you got some nice silver to boot. Nice score on the type 1!

BTV Digger
08-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Great variety of finds Tony! You're right...those Illinois IHs always clean up so nice. About 1 in 5 look that nice up here in our acidic/rocky New England soil. Also congrats on more old silver. I'd guess the brass/glass mystery item is an old bridle rosette from the early 20th century. They'd often have pictures in them inside the glass, but usually they've long faded away. If you google "antique glass bridle rosette" you can see some examples.

John

Hiluxyota
08-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Congrats on all the great finds. Specially for being in dry soil .. that glass item is definitely a bridal rosette. I found one similar this year in a river. Would of loved to have joined you and don on Sunday but I couldn't get out. Would of loved to finally meet and detect with you because you're one of the last greatest Illinois detectorists I haven't got the chance to meet and detect with yet !!

Tony Two-Cent
08-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Congrats on all the great finds. Specially for being in dry soil .. that glass item is definitely a bridal rosette. I found one similar this year in a river. Would of loved to have joined you and don on Sunday but I couldn't get out. Would of loved to finally meet and detect with you because you're one of the last greatest Illinois detectorists I haven't got the chance to meet and detect with yet !!

Sorry you couldn't join us, Tom. We will get together for a hunt someday!

I almost forgot to show this giant reed I found. It is huge! It must be out of a pump organ or something. It rang up like a deep silver half dollar. Rather disappointing.

Bucknut
08-15-2017, 08:11 AM
What a great variety of finds! Love the old nickels and old silver! Congrats!

wisconsin digger
08-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Wow, what a bunch of old finds. 3 "V"'s in one hunt is pretty amazing. An "S" mintmark Barber is a tough find as well in our parts. You guys killed it. Great hunt. Hope there is some video on the hunt. WD

Lodge Scent
08-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Nice digs! Great looking site.

Donnie B
08-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Awesome finds! I like the Dog Tax Tag the best. I love those things.

milco
08-15-2017, 10:11 PM
Great finds! Looks like a solid weekend of detecting!

OxShoeDrew
08-16-2017, 05:31 AM
Wonderful digs, Tony!! :drool: Impressive as usual! I agree with John, that's a rosette.

Noah
08-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Tony you kicked butt with that type I!! Extremely jealous. Congrats!! :perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
08-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Great finds Tony and I really enjoyed detecting with you again! You found some really good coins, especially at the 5-acre farmhouse. I only got one coin signal in 3 hours there but you dug a whole bunch of old coins! You're right about the barn picture not doing it justice--it was such a MAJESTIC feature on the landscape. It was a lot fun door knocking with you and Don. Any ideas why he had stop at the Pontiac coin store while we were eating? :coffeelaugh:

del
08-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Some really old and stellar finds Tony , the barn is quite the construction achievement ! congrats on your second type 1 I enjoyed seeing the relics too including the glass faced rosette .

Dan

PL8MAN
08-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Sweet treasure! Congrats

Mr. Digger
08-22-2017, 05:16 AM
Great assortment of finds, Tony! In the 3rd picture down, what is that relic item closest to to the very top of the frame? Some sort of a handle or something? I've found a number of similar items and was never able to ID. Any idea?

aloldstuff
08-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Tony, not many Type 1 SLQ's get posted and now you have 2....:thumbsup02:. I have to agree that barn is sure large and beautiful. Think of the activity that happened in it......

CoinKeepCheep
08-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Congratulations on the magnificent finds, guys! :)

The Rebel
08-28-2017, 09:07 AM
WTG Tony! You guys really hit the mother lode!