PDA

View Full Version : DFX, MXT Divorce proceedings

Myownwings
08-27-2010, 04:08 AM
Since this forum is truly unbiased (and the reason I love it), I am at a crossroads and need some advice. I'm thinking divorce, me and my DFX just don't seem to agree on alot of things and I've tried to listen and understand her but she is just too complicated and seems to change her mind about what she needs from day to day. If I don't properly select all her buttons in just the right order for any particular day, well, I just don't get lucky...and you know what I mean. So I'm thinking, maybe a younger model, or one that is more forgiving and can live with my laid back kind of approach to life, one who can just go with the flow, same page, kind of thing. There's an MXT down the street that I've been eyeing up. Whadda you'all think, should I stay or should I go? MXT vs DFX? I would probably actually come out ahead on the transaction. To get through this emotional period for me I bought a Garrett Pro-Pointer tonight...heh, I'm a guy, what can I say, I need some relief.

kenfen
08-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi M.O.W.,

That Pinpointer is really nice. I saw a fellow using it in a youtube video and I really like the way it was designed and working. I have BII, but I think the switch is a bit flaky on it.

As far as DFX vs MXT, well, I had the MXT first, so I have a soft spot in my heart for it, but to be honest, I wasn't running it much once I got my DFX. I don't find the DFX that complex, really. There's only a few settings that you need worry about and off you go. Save the program and never change another setting if you hunt the same place all the time, like I do. My main hunting ground is around 150 acres of city park that's old. It's been hit hard, but I've still managed to come out of there with good stuff.

But, if you are not feeling the DFX, then I suggest, why not? Give the MXT a try. It's a great machine and you'll not go wrong with it. Is it the Pro version or just an MXT?

You could always get another DFX or even the V3i if the MXT was not your cup o tea. But, the MXT has those great knobs to turn and I really liked that. I think you'd love it!

Regards, ken

RobW
08-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I believe in polygomy.....buy the MXT, try them both for awahile, decide which you like. Besides, I have come into situations where others want to try out the hobby and I lend them my spare detector to come with me, and then there are times where I need a fix and I have a backup to use while I'm waiting on a new shaft.

Lowjiber
08-27-2010, 08:08 AM
lol

That's an interesting way to look at your dilemma. I don't know how much MXT experience you have, but certainly agree that at first glance they're much more simple than a DFX or Vision. However, I've found that to get the most out of an MXT, one must run it on the edge of insanity. That insanity comes with a price...the user needs to be much more attentive to things (like threshold whispers) than is necessary with other machines.

Advice? :thinkingabout: I don't know that I have any. :dontknow:

I have an MXT and a V3i. I think the V is much more forgiving when I'm feeling lazy and just want to go swing a coil. Whereas, the MXT requires a lot more effort to obtain the same results...depth, etc.

coinnut
08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I think either machine is a good machine. But you will have to look over the MXT for a while to get used to it. So my advice is to see if you can try the machine with the person selling it. They must have some knowledge of how it runs. They could show you it in operation. Then you could decide if it's for you. Strickly speaking in monetary terms, the DFX is a more expensive machine, so you should have the bargaining tool. If you know how to adjust and store a program in the DFX, I can PM you one to try out.

Epi-hunter
08-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Hmmm, if it were me I would just go with the Pro-pointer and forget about both of them. Much less trouble. lol

Seriously, though, many people love the MXT. I've always wished to have one. The fact that it only has one tone (at least until the new MXT was released recently) is what has always made me hesitate. (The fact that it doesn't talk as much as the DFX might be a plus to you, though :cheesysmile: ).

I would say if you are not happy with the DFX, the MXT might be more your style.

kenfen
08-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Lowjiber is right. You'll work harder. Especially if you don't have the extra tones bits a lot more looking at the screen and after a few hours of that and you're neck will be yelling for help.

Regards, ken

Epi-hunter
08-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I have an MXT and a V3i. I think the V is much more forgiving when I'm feeling lazy and just want to go swing a coil. Whereas, the MXT requires a lot more effort to obtain the same results...depth, etc.

That's great info, John. That puts a good perspective on it that I had not thought of before.

yazoo
09-07-2010, 06:42 AM
I would reccomend the V3i,as a upgrade .Once it is set up with a good program you don't have a lot to fiddle with.Its turn on and pretty well go.You cant go wrong since you already know the language of the whites.This is MHO.Good Luck ! Yazoo

hockeyguy
09-07-2010, 07:04 AM
I think you should try to partner up with a creature of different ethnicity, shake the tree a bit.......rent a minleab and go for it....!
Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. :peace: