PDA

View Full Version : Farm hunt, another first!

Digger_O'Dell
08-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Hi all,
I was finally able to get out hunting the farm I grew up on, and had some surprising finds. I know the place dates back before the 1880s, but can't find any records from before then to document when it was first built on. About all I can find is that the town was settled in the 1830s. I've been trying to hunt this site for a couple year but kept getting delayed by weather, crops, etc. But I knew the place was never detected before so had high hopes.
Well, it was hit and miss. Started out badly when I arrived and realized I left my wireless module and good headphones in the other car. I then realized I also didn't have my headphone adaptor along either since I took it off for water hunts, so was left using only the speaker which was hard to hear due to lots of wind and traffic. :girlcry:
Regardless, I still made some nice finds. The first hit was a 12-32 About 8 inches. This was my first surprise-my fist toe tap! From what I researched, they were mostly a CW item to save on boot wear on long marches. I read the first patent was in 1858, and had a little civilian use until about 1880.

I also ended up finding another horse buckle guard, 3 spoons, some float copper, a door or lid of some sort, and other goodies.

The larger spoon is a Rogers nickel silver.

The smaller spoon is a collector spoon from Halle Bros. Co. Cleveland Oh.

Hoping to get back out there again soon, this time with headphones and no rain showers!

milco
08-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Nice finds! Sometimes the anticipation of hunting a long sought after spot is just as rewarding as the hunt itself. I hope this is the first of many hunts for you there. If you want help with researching land records, be glad to help, just send a pm.

calabash digger
08-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Great finds!

Digger_O'Dell
08-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Spoon cleaned up better than I expected with a hot peroxide soak and some Renwax. Looks like it may have been through a fire which would make sense. According to a story my grandfather told me back in the 70s that the original farmhouse burned down around 1920, and the new house was built on the old foundation.

Lodge Scent
08-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Very nice. That Roger's factory wasn't too far from me. I've never found a toe tap.

aloldstuff
08-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Some great finds and with the knowledge that the farm has not been detected....hope you get back soon.