PDA

View Full Version : Short park hunt, really cool medal!

Digger_O'Dell
08-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Hi all,
Stopped at a park on the way in to work for about an hour hunt. Since I've been trying to perfect a couple program variations for better hunting in iron and trash, I thought to try an area I had struck out at in the past. Targets were very slim, but the first good iffy signal I got was a 12-38 at 10 inches. This produced my only keeper coin which is a 1929 wheat. Not far away I hit another 12-36 at 8 to 10 inches. Took a while to find it between some big roots, but suddenly I saw a big patch of green on one of the dirt clouds. Poking around fervently with the pinpointer I finally got the hit. Of all the unexpected things i see is a crusty shield shaped piece. A lityle cleaning and i see somd blue enamel on one side. Once I got to work I cleaned it carefully and gave it several hot peroxide soaks which revealed a very sweet award, and even the full markings on the back which reads:

B.T.H.S.
Music Association
Special Award
Charles Dietrich
Graduate
Tech & Trade
Feb. 1 1929

Certainly a happy hunter today! Thanks for reading. HH&GL

wisconsin digger
08-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Nice find, I have 1 Park where I have found several Music Medallions. Must of had competitions there or a lot of practices. Yours is a bit fancier then the ones I have found. I stopped at the Zoo park on the way to the Airport and it does not look like anything I remember. Nice looking Park and endless places to hunt. You should hit that one more. WD

Digger_O'Dell
08-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Nice find, I have 1 Park where I have found several Music Medallions. Must of had competitions there or a lot of practices. Yours is a bit fancier then the ones I have found. I stopped at the Zoo park on the way to the Airport and it does not look like anything I remember. Nice looking Park and endless places to hunt. You should hit that one more. WD

Zoo park-are you referring to Washington park where the zoo used to be? That's where I found this medallion. Very tough hunting there, but really huge! I've even tried hunting the pond, but it's impossible. Almost got stuck in the muck, which is more than a foot deep. One small area of hard bottom but it's all trash. Any good finds in this park will be deep and usually in heavy iron or trash. Still, they are few and far between.

BTV Digger
08-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Very nice medal! With a little work I'm sure that verdigris will come right off.

Digger_O'Dell
08-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Very nice medal! With a little work I'm sure that verdigris will come right off.

This is after a lot of work removing the verdict is that was on it. Guess I should have taken a before clesning photo? Im afraid to go much further withbit since I dont want to damage the enamel.

Mr. Digger
08-22-2017, 05:00 AM
Very nice! I'm thinking it is a watch fob?

aloldstuff
08-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Super unique medal, never seen one like that before.

CoinKeepCheep
08-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Super unique medal, never seen one like that before.

Indeed! That medal looks like it came out of a fantasy movie. If it weren't for the markings on the back, I would have guessed that it is somewhat "medieval." :grin:

Digger_O'Dell
08-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Very nice! I'm thinking it is a watch fob?

Very possibly a watch fob, hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

OxShoeDrew
08-24-2017, 07:26 AM
I love that fob! I wonder if his yearbook is online. :clapping:

Digger_O'Dell
08-24-2017, 07:33 AM
I love that fob! I wonder if his yearbook is online. :clapping:

I looked, and no, it isn't. The schools online yearbooks don't start until 1956 I think.

milco
08-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Very interesting find, great save!