PDA

View Full Version : Ct Copper, brass spike, bones

Lodge Scent
08-28-2017, 06:11 PM
Hit another of my “endangered” sites Sunday morning. Managed to salvage the brass spike, CT copper, matching cuff buttons, parasol piece and those round brass things from a 2’ by 3’ foot area just on the inside of the threshold of the cellar hole. I’ve detected that spot a couple of dozen times and ignored the “big iron” signal each time. This time it sounded just a bit more diggable so I went at it. Dug the brass spike thing first. A wave of the coil more said there was more stuff in the hole. I expanded the hole and used the pinpointer to find the rest. Not pictured is the handful of nails that was mixed in with the nonferrous.

Dug some bones too. The big one looks like a jaw bone of a small cow??

Also a mystery item lower right. Every couple of years one will turn up at one of my cellar hole sites. Don't know what it is but I had an instinctive revulsion to it.

Dan the Man, this isn’t the usual toasted, featureless CT copper that I usually ask you to ID for me. Other than the spot where someone melted it, it actually has great details for a dug CT. Would you please have a go at it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Digger_O'Dell
08-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Thats one beauty of a coin, great detail! Lots of other really nice finds too. The mystery item is the nefarious "tab of pull" which is the bane of detectorists everywhere. Rare in colonial sites, but all too common at later public gathering places such as parks and beaches.

The Rebel
08-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Nice finds! Love the CT. Man that's off center. I finds teeth from time to time. Could be cow, horse, dog, deer or other wood land creature.

OxShoeDrew
08-29-2017, 04:10 AM
"Every couple of years one will turn up at one of my cellar hole sites. Don't know what it is but I had an instinctive revulsion to it." :lol:
That is one good looking CT, Jeff! Is that some silver still on that cuff-link? Congrats!

aloldstuff
08-29-2017, 07:31 AM
Jeff, congrats on the CT, looks like its your turn to be spoiled with a detailed coin. Item in lower right = EVIL ONE

Tony Two-Cent
08-29-2017, 09:48 AM
That CT copper is gorgeous! Beautiful detail and patina on it. NICE! :clapping:

The brass spike is an interesting period relic also.

:congrats:

BTV Digger
08-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Congrats on a really nice colonial coin Jeff! Dan the man will definitely provide some help on that one! Not sure on that lower item at right (lol). Almost beats out the occasional clad dime I've found at cellar holes miles off the beaten path!

John

Lodge Scent
08-29-2017, 07:37 PM
The mystery item is the nefarious "tab of pull" which is the bane of detectorists everywhere. Rare in colonial sites, but all too common at later public gathering places such as parks and beaches.

I have read about the "tab of pull". I thought it was a myth like the White Walkers and the Army of the Dead. You guys that hunt those public places have a lot more courage than I do. I wanted to run and hide when I dug that one up.

Nice finds! Love the CT. Man that's off center. I finds teeth from time to time. Could be cow, horse, dog, deer or other wood land creature.

Thanks Rebel. As long as they aren't human bones, I am good.

"Every couple of years one will turn up at one of my cellar hole sites. Don't know what it is but I had an instinctive revulsion to it." :lol:
That is one good looking CT, Jeff! Is that some silver still on that cuff-link? Congrats!

Not my usual crusty CT Drew, that's for sure. Both buttons have some gold gilt left on them. It does look silver in the flash.

Jeff, congrats on the CT, looks like its your turn to be spoiled with a detailed coin. Item in lower right = EVIL ONE

So I take it you've had run ins with that thing too Al.

That CT copper is gorgeous! Beautiful detail and patina on it. NICE! :clapping:

The brass spike is an interesting period relic also.

:congrats:

Thanks Tony. You seem completely unfazed by the tab of pull.

Congrats on a really nice colonial coin Jeff! Dan the man will definitely provide some help on that one! Not sure on that lower item at right (lol). Almost beats out the occasional clad dime I've found at cellar holes miles off the beaten path!

John

I hear you John. When you get that nice signal when you are out in the middle of the woods, it is a major let down when a clad dime or quarter shows up.