PDA

View Full Version : WOW, what a difference a month makes

wisconsin digger
09-05-2017, 04:20 PM
August was a little tough for me as it typically is in August. I found 7 silver and a dozen or so wheats. Ground is dry, spots are hard to find etc. Made plans this weekend to do a lot of hunting but as the expression goes everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face, my trip was hilited by viewing each spot I wanted to hunt through the rain. Finally near my cottage I even blew that off and decided to see if I could find my sisters place about 30 miles from me. As luck would have it (and I mean that) they were not there when I arrived so I ran into the town they are by. First place I saw was a Ballfield that did not look to old but I only needed to kill an hour and I decided to try it. Digger Don will appreciate this as I dropped my coil and swung back and forth a few times I hit the 1st good signal, a MERC. and I thought I was doomed by the early find jinx. I had my dog along so I had to keep it short but in less than an hour I found 3 silver, a Buffalo and 4 wheats. No jinx today. Went back the next day for a more serious hunt and thought I was doomed by an all day corn roast in the park but a worker said I had 3 hours before anyone would start to show up. Hated to leave after 3 hours as I found 7 more silver dimes and 13 wheats. Of course the 10 silver on the 2 hunts put me at 99 silver for the year so I planned on hitting an old ballfield I saw on my way back to the cottage. Usually these places are not that good and it looked like this was not going to get me to 100. I did manage a Clad half 2 quarter coin spill but nothing old. I saw a solo big old tree I thought was worth hitting as it was the only shade. detecting Gods were smiling as the only coin I found was a really nice 1914 barber Quarter for #100. turns out this was an old home site that was turned into a ballfield and park. Better lucky than good. On my 3 days of hunting I ended up with 12 silver the Buffalo and 25 toasty wheats (must use a lot of fertilizer there) Great start to September. Keep swinging.

aloldstuff
09-05-2017, 04:33 PM
WOW... great post. Killer start to Sept and I hope it continues for you. Congrats on the 100 silvers FTY.

Bucknut
09-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Wow what a great start to September! Everyone seems to have had a good weekend of hunts!

Digger_O'Dell
09-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Wow, way to start the month. Bet that old ball park will be cleaned out in no time since i know you dont miss a thing! :lol:

Digger Don
09-06-2017, 09:10 AM
:wow: I'm glad to see that September is starting out with a bang. And your 100th silver being a Barber Quarter.:congrats::thumbsup02:
Funny you should mention the jinx. Saturday, my first signal in the first yard was an Indian. I hunted for 8 hours and only found one more Indian all day.LOL
Congrats on finding a great spot to hunt that still has some keepers. Good luck on your next trip there!!!

BTV Digger
09-08-2017, 05:00 AM
Great haul of silver! Wow. Never had anything anywhere close to a day like that in terms of silver. 2 is my all-time record. Many of us have those similar goofy stories whereby our first signal is a great find, then things shut off. Hit a huge corn field a few years back with a friend. Chose a random row to begin on...walked 5 yards...hit a great target and out pops an 1834 LC. Didn't find another coin the rest of the day. Totally strange.

John

wisconsin digger
09-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys, I would take a Large Cent solo find anytime and I definitely believe there is a 6th sense thing with the hobby as the quick good find thing happens way to often to be a fluke. Thx WD

Pastpursuits
09-13-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm floored !!! :perfect10: