PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Silver Buckle!

The Rebel
09-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Got out yesterday to a new spot way out in the boondocks. Was loaded with ferns all over the place but was able to nab this keeper. Sadly some of the silver flaked away but was able to save most of it. Will need to go back in the winter.

Had to keep an eye out for bear as their droppings were all over the place. Found a large bone pile from one most likely killed last winter as the bones were completely bleached white. Didn't find the skull. Will take some pic's next time I'm there as I didn't want to hang out too long in this spot.

aloldstuff
09-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Nice find. Gotta keep an eye out for the wildlife...:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
09-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Wow! That is REALLY cool! I always see this 4in scat that looks kinda human....never any pits in it. I'm not certain if I've ever seen bear scat. I always hear coyotes...but don't know what their scat looks like either.
That looks like a really large knee buckle...right? Congrats, Roger!! :clapping:

Donnie B
09-09-2017, 07:36 PM
That's a beautiful buckle!

Lodge Scent
09-09-2017, 09:25 PM
SWEET buckle Rebel. :congrats:

Lodge Scent
09-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Wow! That is REALLY cool! I always see this 4in scat that looks kinda human....never any pits in it. I'm not certain if I've ever seen bear scat. I always hear coyotes...but don't know what their scat looks like either.
That looks like a really large knee buckle...right? Congrats, Roger!! :clapping:

Now from relics to poop. Drew what you are describing is almost certainly coyote poop. Quite often they are full of deer hair. But they will eat anything and this time of year they can contain berry seeds. Bobcat poop also often contains fur but it is usually quite a bit smaller than coyote scat. Bear poop.....large and greasy...usually seedy this time of year. Not easily confused with anything else....unless you have 200 pound raccoons in the area ;) Enough poop talk. Sorry Reb.

del
09-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Great buckle Roger anything silver plated in colonial times is a rare thing .:notworthy:

Now from relics to poop. Drew what you are describing is almost certainly coyote poop. Quite often they are full of deer hair. But they will eat anything and this time of year they can contain berry seeds. Bobcat poop also often contains fur but it is usually quite a bit smaller than coyote scat. Bear poop.....large and greasy...usually seedy this time of year. Not easily confused with anything else....unless you have 200 pound raccoons in the area ;) Enough poop talk. Sorry Reb.

the sub-discussions or "BS" are sometimes the funniest :lol:

Digger_O'Dell
09-10-2017, 02:12 AM
Nice find, looking forward to your winter hunts from there!

The Rebel
09-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys! Dan can you give me an approx. date on it?

del
09-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys! Dan can you give me an approx. date on it?

Roger I would put it squarely from the 1760's to 1780's

The Rebel
09-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Thanks Dan!

Roger I would put it squarely from the 1760's to 1780's

CTTodd
09-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Super nice Colonial Buckle. Very good find