PDA

View Full Version : Hit the Farm "again".

aloldstuff
09-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Got out on Tuesday but it was so hot I didn't stay very long and my keeper pouch showed it...empty. Today the weather was much nicer and I stayed about 3 hours.

First off was the complete spoon which has some nice fancy on the handle. Next up was the 1820 LC. Checking the date in the RED book it is the large date version. Only 1 1/2 inch down. It's finds like this that keep me going back. The last two pics are of the coin with very little cleaning and some REN was on it.

Next up was the spoon handle, then the what I think is part of a knife (pocket?). Again I am thinking "how did these items get passed over"?

The last post I made from this field I managed my very 1st nickle from the field, a very toasty buff. This time a very clean, and I mean very clean V pops out. It's a 1899 and I didn't even clean it....at all. That is the way it came out of the ground.

Well that's my hunt. Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

This is the 29th copper to come from this farm.

Digger_O'Dell
09-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Congrats on those finds, that's what keeps the interest going!

Lodge Scent
09-28-2017, 01:01 PM
That's a 1 in a 100 V nickel that comes out of the ground that nice Al. LC is in nice shape too! I like the ornate spoon. You are a braver man than me. It was MISERABLE outside Tuesday with all that late season heat and humidity.

aloldstuff
09-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Congrats on those finds, that's what keeps the interest going!

Thanks for the congrats and you are so on point with keeping the interest ...:thumbsup02:

That's a 1 in a 100 V nickel that comes out of the ground that nice Al. LC is in nice shape too! I like the ornate spoon. You are a braver man than me. It was MISERABLE outside Tuesday with all that late season heat and humidity.

Jeff, that V is the cleanest one I have dug. Now the soil is very sandy here but there was no dirt stuck on this coin anywhere. As far as Tuesdays weather goes, I'm trying to find another word to use, one that makes miserable not so bad....:lol:

OxShoeDrew
09-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Your are DA MAN!!! Great looking coins!! A colleague asked if I was going "beeping" after work yesterday.... I said, "Heck no!" 88 degrees, 70% humidity, no thanks! I wish I had the time to get out today though!! Wonderfully clean coins, Al, congrats!

Nesdore
09-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Wow Al nice finds :congrats: that large cent is in amazing shape that V nickel too :perfect10:

Bucknut
09-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Beautiful LC! Been awhile since I last dug one!

aloldstuff
09-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Your are DA MAN!!! Great looking coins!! A colleague asked if I was going "beeping" after work yesterday.... I said, "Heck no!" 88 degrees, 70% humidity, no thanks! I wish I had the time to get out today though!! Wonderfully clean coins, Al, congrats!

Thanks Drew, both coins were very clean. Pretty sure its the soil conditions....sandy.

Wow Al nice finds :congrats: that large cent is in amazing shape that V nickel too :perfect10:

Nesdore, As I said in my reply to Drew it has to be the soil conditions. Most of the coppers that have come out of this farm have been in pretty decent shape.

Beautiful LC! Been awhile since I last dug one!

Thanks Bucknut, I haven't been able to get out much this year because of some foot problems. I think that this is only my 3rd copper of the year.

Tony Two-Cent
09-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Congrats on the two very nice looking old coins, Al! Rarely does a V Nickel come out of the ground looking like that, and it's from the 1800s too!

Beautiful Large Cent as well, soon to be 200 years old! :wow:

:congrats:

Cheap Thrills
09-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Sweet finds Al !! Any one of those coins would make my year .

aloldstuff
09-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Congrats on the two very nice looking old coins, Al! Rarely does a V Nickel come out of the ground looking like that, and it's from the 1800s too!

Beautiful Large Cent as well, soon to be 200 years old! :wow:

:congrats:

Tony, thanks for the congrats and truly a rare "clean" V.

Sweet finds Al !! Any one of those coins would make my year .

Thanks Cheap Thrills, any old coins this year are a bonus.

milco
09-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Congrats, great finds!

calabash digger
09-30-2017, 09:43 PM
What a haul!

MangoAve
10-02-2017, 08:03 AM
Nice V nickel and Matron. You are def lucky with that site and soil conditions. I've had finds that shallow compared to a shotgun shell that is 4-5" deep in the same area. And I have been to some areas with some obvious signals and odd they get missed. Esp spots Dan has hit before that I am getting to years later. :lol:

Digger Don
10-03-2017, 06:57 PM
A couple of very nice finds. Both of those coins are in great shape. Congrats

aloldstuff
10-04-2017, 05:55 AM
Congrats, great finds!

Thanks Darren, I haven't gotten out much this year but getting some finds like this makes me appreciate when I can get out.

What a haul!

Thanks

Nice V nickel and Matron. You are def lucky with that site and soil conditions. I've had finds that shallow compared to a shotgun shell that is 4-5" deep in the same area. And I have been to some areas with some obvious signals and odd they get missed. Esp spots Dan has hit before that I am getting to years later. :lol:

Jim, Yes I really lucked out with this site. I think a big difference as far as depth goes is my site is plowed up twice a year.

A couple of very nice finds. Both of those coins are in great shape. Congrats

Thanks Don, it has to be the sandy soil.