PDA

View Full Version : Rescued a Rosa and more !

Lodge Scent
10-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Hit another one of my old sites destined to be developed. It used to be a 10 minute hike, now it's an hour hike because I have to come in from a long way off due to new houses being built where I used to park.

I knew what this coin was as soon as I saw the Tudor rose on the reverse. 1722 Rosa Americana halfpenny. I was happy to save that one!

https://i.imgur.com/TuzoUb2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3sEmwD6.jpg

There is more to see. Please be Seated ;)

https://i.imgur.com/t0vrQpq.jpg

Not quite done yet. I was detecting along the road they cut into the woods and got a screamer. I am thinking a modern quarter. Flipped the plug and saw brown rather than silver. The bust looked awfully familiar and I thought I had my second Rosa of the day. But it turned out to be a 1723 Hibernia.

https://i.imgur.com/29iAVHl.jpg

You can see that this coin would have been paved over. It was right on the edge of the road cut.

https://i.imgur.com/Qil9UFH.jpg

That's two oldies that won't be lost to the developers. That made the hour hike back out a bit easier.

Jeff

Bucknut
10-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Those are 3 crazy awesome coins!!! Amazing!

aloldstuff
10-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Great job Jeff, saving history. Two early coppers and is that seated a dime or 1/2 dime? Whatever it is, its a beauty.

:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
10-01-2017, 05:40 PM
YOU NAILED IT TODAY!!! Wow, Jeff...three stellar finds in one hunt!! Pease do post the cleaned up versions! That Rosa will look good on the banner next to mine! Unless, of course, yours is the one that replaces mine :lol: Great work, and a great day to be out!

Digger_O'Dell
10-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Those are some great saves! All beautiful coins, Congrats! :perfect10:

calabash digger
10-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Wow ! those are some coins I would love to find.

MangoAve
10-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Grats on the saves, Jeff. Still want to find either a Rosa or Hibernia, myself. I know the majority of the roads here are pre 1860s as they line up with the old maps. One right near me is being dug up. I wonder why certain areas they take down to the dirt while other times repaving they take only the top layer. Idk if I can get any saves from there as it isn't a quiet road.

Ken C
10-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Great hunt, congrats! 1722 Rosa Americana halfpenny !! :notworthy:

Lodge Scent
10-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Those are 3 crazy awesome coins!!! Amazing!

Thanks BN. As my friends in the UK would say, I was quite chuffed.

Great job Jeff, saving history. Two early coppers and is that seated a dime or 1/2 dime? Whatever it is, its a beauty.

:thumbsup02:

Thanks Al. 10 center. I have never found a half dime.

YOU NAILED IT TODAY!!! Wow, Jeff...three stellar finds in one hunt!! Pease do post the cleaned up versions! That Rosa will look good on the banner next to mine! Unless, of course, yours is the one that replaces mine :lol: Great work, and a great day to be out!

Drew, not only do I not want to be the one to knock your Rosa off the banner, I don't even want mine up there out of respect for your Rosa. ;) It was indeed a beautiful fall day to be out in the woods.

Those are some great saves! All beautiful coins, Congrats! :perfect10:

Thanks DO'D. That actually is my best looking Rosa, my best looking Hibernia and my best looking seated dime! Three upgrades in one hunt.

Wow ! those are some coins I would love to find.

Thanks Calabash. I would love to find some of those early eagle buttons you find on a regular basis!

Grats on the saves, Jeff. Still want to find either a Rosa or Hibernia, myself. I know the majority of the roads here are pre 1860s as they line up with the old maps. One right near me is being dug up. I wonder why certain areas they take down to the dirt while other times repaving they take only the top layer. Idk if I can get any saves from there as it isn't a quiet road.

Thanks Jim. I so used to detecting in the peace and quiet of the woods, not sure I could function near a road with cars on it. But you need to go where the goodies are :thumbsup01:

Great hunt, congrats! 1722 Rosa Americana halfpenny !! :notworthy:

Thanks Ken. The day it isn't a thrill to dig an old coin, is the day I hang it up.

Digger Don
10-03-2017, 05:52 PM
That 1722 Rosa americana is amazing:wow:

Then I see the fresh drop seated :wow::envious:

Lodge Scent
10-03-2017, 07:22 PM
It was a silver sandwich Don. The silver was well preserved but coppers were a bit crusty :cheesysmile:

Mr. Digger
10-08-2017, 05:53 AM
Holy cow. What a day! Curious to know what, if anything, you'll do with the coppers in terms of cleaning. They look like they are in great shape. Please post some "after" pics if you can. Don't do what I did though. I found an awesome 1802 Draped Bust LC the other day and then promptly ruined it! Grrrrrrrrrrr

Lodge Scent
10-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Thanks Mr. D. These days, my dug coppers all get a "dry cleaning" first so I can see condition of the patina. More often then not, the patina is too thin so a dry cleaning is all they will get and then some Renaissance Wax. The Rosa's are tricky. They all have very rough surfaces. This is the best one I've dug and I was extra paranoid about making it worse by cleaning it. But I did give it some wet q-tip cleaning to get the big dirt. That's all I care about is getting rid of the "big dirt" :). Leaving some dirt behind adds some contrast and often makes for a better looking coin.

The Rebel
10-09-2017, 09:19 AM
That's one killer of a hunt! WTG on the Rosa!

milco
10-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Amazing finds! Great job saving those! I hope you find some more goodies before they are buried on new private property.