PDA

View Full Version : First E-Trac Silver (Both Kinds)

z118
08-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Got out this morning for my first full blown weekend hunt with the E-Trac. I headed across town to a school that has been very productive for me in the past, though after 16 hunts there finds were starting to slow down a little. I was intent on just digging clad, with the hope that a silver coin or two might pop up as well.

Long story short, I wound up with 77 coins worth $6.62, a set of keys, and a very nice sterling religious medal. Among the coins were two older Canadian pennies, 3 wheats, 1 beat up coin that I think was a wheat, a silver Rosie, and a Merc.

The Rosie gave a very faint tone that came after I changed sensitivity to manual. I have NEVER dug this deep for a dime - I don't know exactly how deep it was but it was WELL over 6. I was thrilled to dig this thing.

I did not notice anything special about the tones over any of the three silver targets. The tone over silver on the Sov would have a distinct flutey note to it, and I was hoping I would notice something like this with the E-trac as well. I didn't but perhaps this will come with time as I become more familair with the tones.

The Loonie and a few of the other clad coins in the pic came from a quick 20 minute hunt yesterday.

Happy hunting!

angellionel
08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
That's a heavy looking sterling silver pendant. Neat find! The silver coins are sweet finds too of course, and you have a very nice haul of coins. thumbsup01

What tone setting are you using on the E-Trac? :thinkingabout: Deep silver does sound different with the GT. :yes:

z118
08-28-2010, 02:43 PM
What tone setting are you using on the E-Trac? :thinkingabout: Deep silver does sound different with the GT. :yes:

Multi. And I hunt in quickmask with the Fe setting around 25 I think. I seemed to have better results today when I switched out of auto sensitivity and into manual.

randy
08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
It looks like you are getting the hang of that E-Trac. I think the silver has a little different sound than the clad, but WDIK -- I've certainly dug silver that I though was clad, and vice versa. Maybe it is just wishful thinking when certain numbers pop up. I also think manual is the way to go (except at the beach, where I think auto +3 is the way to go).

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-28-2010, 07:58 PM
nice finds! you are doing well with the new machine!

Epi-hunter
08-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Awesome z!!!

It took me awhile, but I can now hear the difference between a silver and a clad coin. The display helps, but the real answer lies in the tone.

coinnut
08-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I see your finds are getting a bit older and deeper. That means you are doing well learning your new machine. In time you will hear the silver difference. Check your Variablilty Setting to make sure it up high enough. 29 is what I use. This is almost the maximum spread for targets to change pitch. Silver really stands out when you use the probe. I love hearing that high pitch when you open up the hole and confirm it's going to be silver :drool: I still get fooled with deep clad dimes, but most times silver has a distinct sound. Also use manual sensitivity as high as you can while stable, for them deep targets. You are getting better with every hunt. Any time you can bring home some silver is a great day out! :happydance01:

NiagaraCountyNY
08-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Nice finds! I myself cant hear a diffrence from silver or a reg coin.The only way Im able to tell if its silver is by the depth of the signal.On my SE I could hear the diffrence between silver and clad.The E-Trac doesnt seem to have that ability.I know this dissapointed alot of people when the E-Trac 1st released.once u find the depth of the silver at a site,Watch the #'s and depth guage and u will be able to predict what u dig with ease.I have found the #'s to be super acurate(co anyways).Great Hunt,Thx for the pics...HH

coinnut
08-30-2010, 06:02 PM
I get a much more acurate reading when I am pinpointed, and then go over it as close to center as possible in very short (1) swings. The CO numbers get a little better that way. With a wide swing everytime, they can be all over the palce.