PDA

View Full Version : Lost my favorite digging tool

Lodge Scent
10-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Not too stressed out about it though because it only cost me $8.99 at Harbor Freight to replace it. I bought the first one about 3 years ago. I figured I would snap the blade soon but it took a lot more abuse than I thought it could handle. The blade is still fine, but I left it somewhere in the woods last time out.:embarrassed:

The blade is 8 inches long with another 6 inches of handle. The handle has a cap that unscrews and is hollow. It comes with some "survival" gear. I'll throw that stuff out and put in the magnesium fire starter and a whistle instead. The spine is serrated and it cuts really well. The only knock I have is the sheath. It is a cheapo. I fixed that last time by cutting a couple of pieces of an old leather belt the shape of the blade and sticking it down in the sheath to stop the blade from cutting the seam threads.

I like it because not only is it a great digger, but if I run into a sasquatch or a crack head in the middle of the woods, they might think twice about trying anything when they see that on my belt.

I use my regular shovel to start holes but this works great if I suspect I have something good in the hole and I need to carefully dig it out. Good bargain for $9.00. I'm not going to cry if I break it....or leave it in the woods :thumbsup02:

http://i.imgur.com/dzu9cbO.jpg (https://imgur.com/dzu9cbO)

aloldstuff
10-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Who knows....maybe someday we will see a picture of your lost digger posted by a another detectorist. :lol:

Full Metal Digger
10-09-2017, 03:00 PM
For some reason that scene from Crocodile Dundee popped into my head when I read your post about the crack heads. You saying "That's not a knife, now this, this is a knife!"

Lodge Scent
10-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Who knows....maybe someday we will see a picture of your lost digger posted by a another detectorist. :lol:

Now that would be something !!!

For some reason that scene from Crocodile Dundee popped into my head when I read your post about the crack heads. You saying "That's not a knife, now this, this is a knife!"

:lol: Yeah great scene, except his knife was more like a short sword :lol:

del
10-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Jeff I can very much relate to your loss , I too carry a cheap "bowie" type knife as a digging tool for carefully extracting things out of the roots . its been used so much over the years that its now pretty dull to use as a self defense weapon from some animal . My wife got me another knife to keep handy for those emergencies :lol:. Who knows you may get lucky and just find you own knife at a site in a few years ;) I found my main jeep keys after losing them for a few years at a site :lol:

Lodge Scent
10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Jeff I can very much relate to your loss , I too carry a cheap "bowie" type knife as a digging tool for carefully extracting things out of the roots . its been used so much over the years that its now pretty dull to use as a self defense weapon from some animal . My wife got me another knife to keep handy for those emergencies :lol:. Who knows you may get lucky and just find you own knife at a site in a few years ;) I found my main jeep keys after losing them for a few years at a site :lol:

Yeah I suspect I'll find it next time I hit that site Dan. I've been fortunate not to loose my keys yet. Actually I did loose them once. I lost them inside my back pack. Didn't find them until I emptied my pack a couple days later . :embarrassed: