PDA

View Full Version : Great friends and a great day for digging!

Donnie B
10-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Got out Sunday with Danny LaMontagne and Dave Wise for some colonial cellar hole digging. It was a great fall day and, more importantly, a really fun day filled with digging, conversation and friendship. I managed to sneak out my second 1600's coin and I am on Cloud Nine even though it is heavily worn and, obviously, circulated for many years. It was probably about six to eight inches down and I only heard a whisper, perhaps, because I had my sensitivity lowered trying to work through the iron. I am going to show it to Danny when we go digging again but it's probably either a William III Half Pence or a William & Mary Half Pence. It has a gorgeous patina but there are few details left on the coin. You can probably identify it from the raised arm of Britannia as one of the above. Dave Wise gave me some nice nails for my display that he dug at the site. Here's some pics!6125461255612566125761258

Digger_O'Dell
10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Congrats on the coin! Looks like a great day for swinging too. I've seen more than my share of old square nails, including my biggest spike I've recently dug but never seen anything like those.

calabash digger
10-18-2017, 07:59 AM
congrats, looks like a nice place to hunt.

del
10-19-2017, 12:38 AM
its hard to tell but HEAVYMETALUT (Dave) was sitting on a chimney pile to the second site we found deep into the woods the large depression is just to the right. It was a nice day to be out Donnie , I had a lot of fun and laughs with you two guys . It was a much needed hunt for me after a few months of home renovations every weekend , my goal was just to get out and get some much needed exercise and enjoy the company the copper , dropped round ball and old iron I nabbed was just a bonus to make my day perfect .

Dan

Donnie B
10-19-2017, 06:44 AM
It was a great day Dan! I had lots of fun and it was so good to get out. Thanks for sharing the photos. You had called out that standing well but I never made it over that way to see it. A lot of work went into that well.

Digger Don
10-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Awesome recovery Donnie. I'm sure Dan will know exactly what it is.
Plus, it's always better when you're hunting with friends.
:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
10-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Looks like you had loads of fun!!! How'd Dave make out?? Congrats!

Donnie B
10-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Looks like you had loads of fun!!! How'd Dave make out?? Congrats!

Dave got a coin too but it was well worn like mine. It was a great day. We all had fun and each of us got a coin. Good friends!

BTV Digger
10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Glad you fellas had some fun! Always better to detect with friends through sharing finds and talking history.

John

aloldstuff
10-26-2017, 02:40 PM
Getting out with friends is a big plus...congrats on your 1600's coin.