PDA

View Full Version : V3i back light setting affecting pinpoint VCO tone quality

Schrecky
08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Pick a canned program like Coin & Jewelry with VCO on. Normally, my pinpoint VCO tone has a nice even ramp up and ramp down in tone as the coil passes over the target. If I set my Back Light setting to 1 or 2 or 3 the VCO tone takes on an individual flute types notes instead of the smooth ramp up (very annoying). Using Back Light settings of 0 or anything above 3, the VCO sounds fine. I've been trying to figure this pinpoint tone problem out for months but never gave it a thought that it could be related to the Back Light setting. Could a few of you try this and see if you get the same results? :bangahead01:

Battery was fully charged.

Thanks

CyberSage
08-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I have the same thing happening Schrecky. Good catch on this one. I have my back light setting all the way up. Never would have discovered this one. What the heck is causing this?

Lowjiber
08-29-2010, 08:11 AM
That's strange...to say the least. :confused: Mine does it as well. Like Jack, I keep my back light at max.

Thanks for sharing, Schrecky. I wish I had an answer. :dontknow:

Schrecky
08-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Just curious, does keeping your back light at max all the time reduce your battery life very much? That's the only reason I lower mine, when I don't need the brightness.

CyberSage
08-29-2010, 01:48 PM
My shoulder and arm always ware out before my battery does. lol I am sure it uses more battery, but I always have a spare in the car. Even on my longest hunts I have not needed it however. It helps me see the scree so I keep it cranked up.

Lowjiber
08-30-2010, 07:53 AM
I've never had a problem with battery life either. I'm blind as a bat and need all the help the backlight offers...especially in the bright desert sun.

rcasio44
08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I talked to somebody at Whites once, but I can't remember who. The back light draw is minimal. Rob