PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Buffs, a Fatty and a Bust.

Bucknut
10-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Here are a few pics of my finds from the last week or so. Been finding lots of Buffs lately during my lunch break at a near by park. I am at 21 buffs for the year which is a record for me. The first pic has a interesting locket type of thing that I thought was a marble at first but soon realized it was not. It opened up and in it were a couple deteriorated pcs of paper and on the back of one it says "Dick". I assume there were a couple pictures in it.

The fatty is an 1863 that I found in a field site behind my house. I have hit it many times over the past 5 years and was very happy to pull this out of the ground.

The BUST...well this came last Saturday. This unfortunately is not a Capped Bust or a Draped Bust type of "bust". So Digger Don and his son Digger Al and their friend Noah (Tim) came all the way from Illinois to visit me and do some detecting. We planned to hunt ALL day on Saturday so I did some research and found some old homesites in the bean fields to try first. Unfortunately none of them were harvested by Saturday morning even though I did get permission at one of them. We drove into an old town that I have done extremely well in over the years (especially in the parks) and we started door knocking almost right away. I got the first permission and the 2nd hole gave me a 1941 merc...my only silver for the day. Out of the 12 permissions that we received only 2 produced any silver and we found zero Indians! These streaks happen to everyone from time to time and although we all had a good time I was disappointed in how the day played out...especially for the guys who drove 5 hours to visit me. Digger Don had a couple cool silver finds that I am sure he will share eventually.

Well I hope to get out to the fields that I researched earlier. Maybe I can then have a post entitled "Bust" and it be the kind of Bust we all enjoy.

Thanks for coming to visit me Don, Al and Tim! Thanks for digging all of the darn Canadian pennies so I do not have to. Hope to see you guys again maybe in Ohio or Illinois.

Digger_O'Dell
10-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Couple fun hunts by the sound of it. Locket looks almost identical to one Dan got a while back with some book passages in it, if I remember correctly. Congrats on the buffs, those seem to be in short supply in my neck of the woods. Nice silver finds too!
I know about those high hope and low result hunts too well. Even worse when on a long trip.

Digger Don
10-26-2017, 11:21 AM
That's a nice bunch of finds Jared, especially the Fatty!!
We all had a good time and was really nice getting to meet you.
I think you cleaned that town out. LOL.
You know, we all have days like that, sometimes it's just not meant be, but we really appreciate you taking us around to some amazing old houses.
We stopped at a couple of old towns on the way home, and didn't do much better. Just one of those weekends i guess.
We'll try it again sometime.
Thanks again, Don

Tony Two-Cent
10-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Congrats on the Buffalo nickels and especially the 1863 Fatty! That is a terrific find. I really like the locket too, very unusual! Very cool that you could still read the name on the paper.

That marble looks really big! I love the color of it too. Awesome!

Congrats on the finds! I'm glad you got to detect with some other members of the forum. :yes:

:congrats:

aloldstuff
10-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Sounds like meeting everybody was fun. Looking forward to reading your post with the "bust"

Nesdore
10-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Nice bunch of finds love those buffalo nickels and that fatty. Sounds like yall had a blast even if you didn't dig a bunch of silvers...GL HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken C
10-27-2017, 06:32 AM
Great group of finds there. Congrats! :beerbuddy:

Cheap Thrills
10-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Nice finds and I love the pictures . It's cool that you could get together with some other detectorists for a good time .

wisconsin digger
10-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Nice finds, its weird how at times you find a lot of a certain coin, I suppose it depends on where you are. They never look to pretty but I always like finding Buffalos. WD