PDA

View Full Version : More E-Trac Silver

z118
08-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I got out for a two hour hunt this morning, headed a few towns over to a field I had hunted a couple other times with the Sov this summer. I only found 19 coins total today but 5 were wheats and one was a Merc. The Merc made my day.

My trouble now is that I get a signal and I dig without really thinking about it or pausing to scrutinize the numbers or tones. I'm not really sure how the Merc rang up this morning other than sounding like a good target. I guess I need to learn how to slow down a bit.

I still don't use the pinpoint feature on the E-trac, and I can't really figure out the depth meter either - it doesn't seem to be accurate often enough to be usefull for the most part. But maybe this is just due to my lack of experience on this machine. I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that I briefly tried out the big Eagle headphones that came with the E-trac. I hated them! They hurt my ears and they muffled all outside noise which I am not a fan of. Beyond enjoying the ambient sounds when I'm out I like to be able to hear if people or animals are headed my way.

Happy hunting...

milco
08-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice finds, I'd take those any day!

Epi-hunter
08-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Congratulations on the E-Trac silver!!!

The depth meter on the E-Trac is crap. I have it sort of figured out, but I have to add X and subtract Y depending on the depth reading and what happens when in pinpoint mode and five or six other factors. It's much easier to tell depth by volume and tone. I would just say this: if it reads six inches or more, then the target is deep. That's about all the depth meter on the E-Trac is useful for, in my opinion. It's completely worthless on targets that are shallow.

Why aren't you using pinpoint mode? :confused:

To me, silver coins sound distinctly different than the clad coin counterparts on the E-Trac. Sometimes, though, for really deep silver coins, you have to dig a bit in order to get that high flutey silver tone to come through. It does take some practice to be able to tell the difference though. Same with the CO/FE numbers. They may read lower for really deep targets than you would expect for silver (Angel has had really deep silver dimes come in at a CO of 42 initially) but they often jump up after you dig a bit and re-scan. Although Angel has had some deep silver dimes (particularly the much older ones) that never showed a CO in the range that would be expected for a silver dime.

Beefcake
08-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I agree about the depth gauge. I really don't know what each notch stands for, but I know that if it as beyond a quarter of the way down I know it is deep enough for silver. I don't know how you could not use the pinpoint...eeek. That gives you a better idea of the depth of the coin...higher pitch shallow...lower pitch deeper... It is also a good tool to use for sizing the target too. I like the pinpoint on the ET myself.

z118
08-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't use pinpoint as I've never had a detector with that feature before (that I used anyway). I'm just too accustomed to not having it. It seems like it's quicker just to pull my usual big plug than it is to switch to pinpoint and figure it out. I used to determining depth and size by the tone and by xing the coil in regular detecting mode. Pinpointing is just another this to learn at this point. Maybe I'll get to it someday.

It's good to hear it's not just me with the depth meter.

Thanks!

coinnut
08-29-2010, 07:15 PM
It's good to hear it's not just me with the depth meter.

It stinks. That is one thing I would love to see fixed on the next model. I'm with you. Although I use the pinpoint mode, I still dig a wide plug too lol It's easier that way. Everytime I scratched a coin, it was because I was trying to make a small plug. That's one benifit of woods hunting, big plugs :clapping:

Congrats on the Merc and the gang of Wheats. Glad you are finding some silver on your hunts :beerbuddy:

NiagaraCountyNY
08-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Grats on your finds!!looks like you are getting in the grove with the new machine.The depth gauge is a 10 inch gauge I believe.I have found it to be fairly acurate(sounds like im the only one)I use the gauge to decide if Its deep enough to be old and worth digging ALOT :) The size of the target will effect the accuracy.I tend to not use pinpoint 80% of the time.U dont need too. The other 20% of the time its becuase Im digging in a park or yard that I dont wanna mess up and need to be perfectly accurate.I have to say my only real prob with this machine is I dont like having to turn the detector towards me in the sun so I can read the screen.We need a color screen or a screen that turns/rotates so we can adjust it. That will be on the next model I hope! We need to get tother for our Hunt soon ..They will be cutting the fields shortly :)

z118
08-30-2010, 08:06 AM
We need to get tother for our Hunt soon ..They will be cutting the fields shortly :)

You let me know when and where! I've never hunted a crop field before but I'm certainly game. Or if you head east sometime let me know, I've got a few old parks in mind that might be interesting.

RobW
08-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Looks like your getting the hang of it. I have decided not to even go out anymore until I get my E-trac (my wife appreciates that too, now I will actually get some work done around the house) She has 2 -3 weeks.

Epi-hunter
08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
The depth gauge is 12 inches. :)

jkress
08-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Very nice digs!

Looks like you are starting to get along nicely with you new machine.

Keep at it!

coinnut
08-30-2010, 07:05 PM
I think when the depth guage is working it is very accurate. But mine spends most of it's time freezing up. Looks like this :-\ and this :dontknow: and I just do this 8/ then this :bangahead01: lol

tanacat
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Beyond enjoying the ambient sounds when I'm out I like to be able to hear if people or animals are headed my way.

lol Sorry, I just had this image of deer and cows coming at you (I live in Kentucky and hunt a lot of farms) I feel the same way about headphones... The wireless ones that came with my V3i hurt after a while.

Anyway, congrats on the merc!!! :clapping:

RobW
09-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Looks like you're getting a hand on that new detector pretty well. I'm still waiting on mine...losing patience, but my wife is liking having me around to get things done.