PDA

View Full Version : Our trip to Michigan

Digger Don
10-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Last weekend, I drove to Michigan with Alec and Noah to meet up with Bucknut for a day of detecting. We were hoping to do a little bean field hunting, but unfortunately the farmers hadn't cut the fields before we got there. So we spent most of the day door knocking. Although we hit a few amazing old houses, the finds were a bit slim. Just one of those days I guess!
I did manage to dig a 1910 Barber dime, half of a sterling spoon, a couple of tokens, a few wheats and some Canadian pennies.
Alec had a spill consisting of a 1937 Merc and three 1940 Canadian Pennies. He also dug a plated ring and a United Way pin.
Thank You Jared for being a great host. We all had a good time and it was nice to finally get to meet you.

Here are a few photos:

aloldstuff
10-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Not your typical hunt(missing IH's) but still a nice group of keepers. A lot of Canadian coinage???

Digger_O'Dell
10-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Sounds like a nice trip. Still good finds, and even some silver. The Barber looks nice, congrats!

Bucknut
10-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks for coming guys! I had a good time too!

OxShoeDrew
10-29-2017, 05:28 PM
How far was the drive, Don? Looks like you made out just fine!! :congrats:

Full Metal Digger
10-29-2017, 05:31 PM
I guess they didn't use wheat cents up there back in the day. Just Canadian pennies apparently! Too bad those bean fields weren't ready. Always great coins to be found there. One of these days I'll get to meet Jared--lords knows we've been chatting at each other for at least 5 years now! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

wisconsin digger
10-29-2017, 07:29 PM
I think that is more Canadians then I have found in 6 years. Nice group of coins and dandy looking Barber. WD

Ken C
10-29-2017, 09:01 PM
That looks like a great day of digging. Is it common to find Canadian Pennies in Michigan? Those are cool.

:beerbuddy:

Digger Don
10-29-2017, 09:35 PM
How far was the drive, Don? Looks like you made out just fine!! :congrats:
just about 5 hours. it was worth it, we had fun!

Tony Two-Cent
10-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Congrats on the pile of keepers, Don! Interesting that the Canadian cents all have the same date of 1940.

I really like the sterling spoon bowl. That is a nice chunk of silver!

It's always fun to dig a Barber Dime too.

:congrats: