PDA

View Full Version : Detecting with Don in the snow and sleet

Full Metal Digger
10-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Hey Diggers,
Don and I found a small town that looked very promising. The central park shows up on the 1872 map and looked fairly old on Google Earth. Don got there before me and since I still had an hour of driving to go I said hit that park and tell me if you find any Wheaties! About 30 minutes later he calls me back and says he's finding clad quarters as deep as 8 inches. Just before I got into town he calls to let me know he has two permissions already lined up! Two old houses next door to each other.

The finds were few and far between. I'm guessing both had been detected before since we weren't finding the usual junk you get in an old yard. I did manage an indian head cent 8 inches deep right next to the driveway. In the back yard I got a Barber dime at 4 inches deep. Even though it rang in at 12-40, it had just enough squeak to it I thought it might be silver.

At the house next door I got a mercury dime right off the bat and later an 1884 V nickel that is just about worn smooth. In the side yard I got a screaming 12-47 at 2 inches and popped out a 1963 rosie.

We drove around a bit and Don got us another permission at a 1900 home with a large corner lot. He starts popping Wheaties right off the bat but I can't find a good signal to save my life. Finally I got a garbled 12-40 signal that kept jumping between 4 and 7 inches. I cut the plug and flipped it over, grabbed a couple handfuls of dirt and threw them on my drop cloth. Laying right on top of the dirt was a nice green 1866 indian head cent. I thought it odd it would ring up so high since they normally come in around 10-37 for me. I refilled the hole & put the plug back and out of habit I reswept the hole and got a screaming signal right on top of the ground. I looked down and could see a silver rim staring up at me. I yelled at Don "there was a silver in there with the indian!" I picked it up expecting to see a Barber or maybe a seated dime and what a shock, a 1956 ROSIE! Since it is not likely they were lost together I can only assume the dime was coincidently lost right over the same spot the IHC was lost nearly 100 years earlier!

Anyway, it was a fun outing and I enjoyed detecting with Don very much. Thanks for getting all the permissions for us Don! Here's some pics of my finds. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Digger Don
10-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Great post Dave.
Congrats on the Trifecta and all the other good finds. I'm pretty sure that your 1866 Indian is a Semi Key Date.
Darn nice haul for a half a day of detecting.
I hope the weather holds out, we need to get back there!!
See Ya Soon, Don

Ken C
10-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Now that's a great day of digging! Trifecta in dimes and one cent/pennies, congrats! :beerbuddy:

That 1893 Indian is beautiful! :perfect10:

Digger_O'Dell
10-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a fun hunt, congrats on the dime trifecta!

wisconsin digger
10-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Nice trifecta. Good finds all around. Congrats on the road trip finds. WD

Bucknut
10-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Looks like you had a great day of detecting. That 1866 Indian is a beauty! Nice trifecta of dimes!

OxShoeDrew
10-30-2017, 06:34 AM
Don is a smooth talker! :lol: Good looking coins and great pics!

aloldstuff
10-30-2017, 08:13 AM
You and Don always seem to come up with some goodies. Nice trifecta.

Tony Two-Cent
10-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Impressive group of finds, Dave! I especially like the 1866 Indian Head Cent. That is one of the few dates I have never found. Although worn, your example is a looker with a nice even patina. It is a semi-key date also. Wonderful!

:congrats:

The Rebel
10-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Those are some quality finds!

BTV Digger
11-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Nice nabs Dave! That's a heck of a day of coin-shooting.

John

Donnie B
11-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Those Indians are beautiful!

Lodge Scent
11-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Very cool. An IHP and a '56 Rosie would make for an unusual pocket drop, but even as a little kid in the 60's, it wasn't that crazy to get an IHP now and then in your change.