PDA

View Full Version : My boy finds his oldest coin, I find an awesome ring!

Bucknut
10-31-2017, 09:11 AM
I took my 4 kids to a park to give my wife some alone time to do some writing last Saturday. Of course I brought the detectors and as the kids played I was digging up treasure. My first good find was a sterling silver military sharp shooter badge. I am guessing from the 1940s to the 1960s? I also found a 1942 merc. Then my coil swept across a very high pitch tone on the surface and when I looked down I saw a ring. I called my girls over to pick it up for me as I knew they would enjoy that since they love jewelry. It is marked 925 on the inside but I am not sure what the stone is. It is a very very dark blue stone and I am guessing that it is synthetic and not a natural stone.

Sunday afternoon I took my youngest boy to a field site that I had hoped to go to with the Illinois guys. This place is in a public park so it may have been detected in the past. My first hole gave me an 1892 indian and Ashton's first hole gave him an 1859 Canadian large cent! I also found a suspender clip that has a patent date of Nov 1st 1870. We were only there about an hour so we need to go back.

Yesterday during my lunch break I found a war nik and an Illinois Tax Token. Wonder if Digger Don planted it to get even with me for all of those Canadian pennies that sound like silver dimes? This is a small token but it sounded like a silver too.

Thanks for looking! Jared

Tony Two-Cent
10-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Great bunch of finds, that silver ring is very pretty! I bet that 1859 Canadian Large Cent put a big smile on your son's face!

I really like that suspender clip too, it's very ornate and an unusual design. Very nice! I would definitely be going back to that field site! :yes:

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
10-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Awesome bunch of finds! Your son found a coin older than most folks ever find. Surprised to see an Illinois Retailers Tax token in the pile! Those always ring up like indians for me. Thanks for sharing and HH, Dave.

OxShoeDrew
10-31-2017, 11:45 AM
What a great day, Jared! Smiles all around!! Is your wife a writer? :congrats:

Bucknut
10-31-2017, 11:59 AM
What a great day, Jared! Smiles all around!! Is your wife a writer? :congrats:

Yes she is among many other things...homes schools the kids, singer, amazing baker, piano teacher, etc... She is one of the best treasures I have ever found! She rang up as an 01-50 on my Etrac.

Cheap Thrills
10-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Congrats on your awesome finds and to Ashton on his awesome Canadian Large cent . Your U.S. Army Rifle qualification badge is Expert the next step above Sharpshooter and the highest you can qualify . Marksman comes in below Sharpshooter .You definitely need to go back to that spot !

Ken C
10-31-2017, 12:50 PM
Wonderful bunch of finds there. How is the other side of the large cent? The side shown looks to be in nice shape, congrats!

Bucknut
10-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Wonderful bunch of finds there. How is the other side of the large cent? The side shown looks to be in nice shape, congrats!
Unfortunately its a bit crusty from the field. That is why I only showed that side...glad the date came out clear.

aloldstuff
10-31-2017, 03:53 PM
That ring is absolutely beautiful, my wife would have claimed that in a heartbeat. Congrats to your son on getting his oldest coin....so far. Site warrants many return visits. :thumbsup02:

Digger_O'Dell
10-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Those are some great finds, and some good times with the kids! Thats quite a silver ring, don't find them that fancy very often. The suspender clip is also very unusual. Almost looks like it could double as a bottle opener! :lol:

Lodge Scent
10-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Nice hunt with the kids !

Donnie B
10-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Congrats to your son and that is an awesome ring!

Ken C
11-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately its a bit crusty from the field. That is why I only showed that side...glad the date came out clear.

LOL, I'm the same way. I'm very pleased if I can make out a date. Congrats again!

BTV Digger
11-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Great variety of finds and it's fantastic that your son could nab an LC! I'm sure he's hooked now. The ring is also a beaut!

John

Digger Don
11-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Congrats on some really nice finds. That ring is Sweet!!
Tell Ashton Congrats on the Awesome Canadian Largie!!
You need to get back to that field and get some more.
GL&HH, Don

Ill Digger
11-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Looks like a return trip might be in order. A couple of nice keepers for just a short hunt. The ring is a beauty! I've yet to find a big Canadian penny. I like that old pattern on them.
Congrats guys! :grin:

wisconsin digger
11-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Congrats to your son and all the nice finds. WD