PDA

View Full Version : weekend silver

randy
08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Got out yesterday for a few hours, and was pretty much skunked. One useless copper that I've ID'd as possibly a classic head (1808-1818), but it is so useless nothing would show up on a scan without it being wet (and I don't want to put a wet coin on my scanner).

Another couple of hours this evening, and managed to pull a pair of silver dimes.

z118
08-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Nice digs. Your sig line numbers are interesting. Your ration of silver to wheat is WAY better than mine... I've dug 150 wheats this year and only 29 silver... i wonder if it's just luck or if we do something differntly?

randy
08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Nice digs. Your sig line numbers are interesting. Your ration of silver to wheat is WAY better than mine... I've dug 150 wheats this year and only 29 silver... i wonder if it's just luck or if we do something differntly?

At one point, my ratio was 7 to 1. Now it is closer to 3 to 1. I have a theory about it, tho. I think a wheat at the same depth as a silver is easier to find, because I think copper gives a bigger halo. Given the depth I'm finding stuff at, I think it is possible that shallower machines than the E-Trac have hit the wheats, and not the silver at the same depth. I think I'm getting some of the silver they missed. Or it just could be luck. At one site I'm hunting, I'm not digging CO 35-42 -- I'm only digging targets I'm almost certain are silver to minimize stress on the grass. That is certainly part of it.

As and aside, note that my sig is for since I've been doing this (2 years), not just this year. I have 47 silvers this year. Hopefully I'll get 50.

coinnut
08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Not too bad. You get silver almost everytime you go out. I bet you will hit 50 by the end of the year. The best months of detecting are ahead of us. NO bugs and NO humidity lol Whoo hoo!! Your copper count is up there too!! I better get a move on it lol

Epi-hunter
08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Beautiful silver, love the photo! :cheering:

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Two silvers in a couple of hrs. is darn good work . I think you're going to end this year with totals far above your present expectations.