PDA

View Full Version : What a day!

Donnie B
11-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Got out with Del on Sunday for some colonial relic hunting. Danny's DFX was smoking hot. He got two Connecticut Coppers in a spill, two absolutely gorgeous shoe buckles and a nice variety of buttons including some machine etched tombacs. I got my second pair or colonial linked buttons and these have a flower design on them. It was a shock when they popped up out of the hole and my brain didn't register for a second what I was seeing in the dirt. What a day!614996150061501

Ken C
11-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Very nice! Great bunch of finds there!

Lodge Scent
11-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Some great buttons there Donnie B!

calabash digger
11-09-2017, 07:06 AM
nice haul!

Full Metal Digger
11-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Looks like a really old site. Maybe you'll find one of those pine tree shillings there...oh wait, never mind.

Donnie B
11-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Looks like a really old site. Maybe you'll find one of those pine tree shillings there...oh wait, never mind.

:lolsign: This site was not as old as the Shilling site but you never know! I think it would date from the mid 1700's to around 1790 give or take. Dan is the expert on dating a site from the recoveries made so I would defer to his opinion. You never know where you might find a Shilling but I was hoping for a State Copper (Dan got those!) or a GW at this site. We have a couple of videos too.

Full Metal Digger
11-09-2017, 02:56 PM
We have a couple of videos too.

Do you upload your videos to YouTube? If so, what's your channel?

Donnie B
11-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Do you upload your videos to YouTube? If so, what's your channel?

I do upload to YouTube as a means of saving the videos for the future. I don't really attempt to make elaborate video productions. I just like to have a place to store them. Here is the video of Danny's spill from Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1t0ZH8-eAM

OxShoeDrew
11-10-2017, 04:38 AM
Super day, Donnie! Nice vid too! Did Dan post?:congrats:

Donnie B
11-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Super day, Donnie! Nice vid too! Did Dan post?:congrats:

I don't think Dan has posted yet. It's going to take some time to clean up all of this finds. He had a wonderful, glorious, great, day!

aloldstuff
11-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Super day, watched the video, congrats on all your keepers....:thumbsup02:

calabash digger
11-11-2017, 07:25 AM
If you ever do want to make videos they have software out there that makes it pretty easy that is after you beat your head trying to figure out how to run it ..lol let me know and ill tell you what I use.The video I just posted took about a hour to do start to finish on editing.You guys find amazing stuff and some videos of it would be great BUT it does take a lot of effort in the field to cut camara on and so forth while trying to dig I'm sure you already know that though.. ONE of your trade marks could be the Danny smile , I love that feeling one something good flies out the hole and I can tell you guys do too..QUOTE=Donnie B;218509]I do upload to YouTube as a means of saving the videos for the future. I don't really attempt to make elaborate video productions. I just like to have a place to store them. Here is the video of Danny's spill from Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1t0ZH8-eAM[/QUOTE]

Donnie B
11-11-2017, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=calabash digger;218552]If you ever do want to make videos they have software out there that makes it pretty easy that is after you beat your head trying to figure out how to run it ..lol let me know and ill tell you what I use.The video I just posted took about a hour to do start to finish on editing.You guys find amazing stuff and some videos of it would be great BUT it does take a lot of effort in the field to cut camara on and so forth while trying to dig I'm sure you already know that though.. ONE of your trade marks could be the Danny smile , I love that feeling one something good flies out the hole and I can tell you guys do too.

I would like to make better videos but I hate editing. That's why I use GoPro editor. I finally figured out how to make simple videos. I have no patience to learn how to do cool edits with music and really appreciate those that can do that sort of thing. My goals for my GoPro videos are very simple. I like to film great finds and capture the excitement in the field. I wish I had been doing this 23 years ago.

calabash digger
11-11-2017, 01:16 PM
You would be a youtube sensation and not ever have to buy a detector! lol you guys kill it...

BTV Digger
11-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Nice set of cufflinks Donnie! Congrats on yesterday's big win over FSU as well.

John

del
11-12-2017, 10:32 AM
It was a nice little site that was "cherry picked" at some time but they left a lot of low sounding targets lie the tombac buttons and missed a few high ones too. I was just lucky to get my coil over the really good sounding targets. here are a few of my pictures of my recoveries .

61541Some before and after of the tombacs , out of the 6 I recovered half had the machine etched designs that i'm very fond of 615426154361544615456154661547I also recovered a silver plated saddle maker plate that dates to around the 1860's to 1880's 61548Then a group shot of the cleaned up items , the two shoe buckle frames were very welcomed finds as I was in a drought of finding any since the beginning of the year and thought Lodge Scent may have cursed me from finding any more :lol: 61549 the two copper coin spill turned out to be both Connecticut state coppers but unfortunately both are in very very rough shape with limited detail .

aloldstuff
11-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Dan, congrats on the buckles...about time :lol:. Six tombacs .....:thumbsup01:. I was waiting for this post to see about your Ct's, sorry to hear that even you can't ID.

OxShoeDrew
11-12-2017, 04:31 PM
So many targets!! I bet that buckle sounded great! What's the date on that thinner frame?? Great job, as always! :congrats:

Lodge Scent
11-12-2017, 05:11 PM
That's a heck of a hunt for the both of you! Two shoe buckles, two coppers AND 6 tombacs! Even if the buckles are a given, it was still a fine hunt Dan. ;)

Digger_O'Dell
11-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Both you guys hit a lot of great stuff! Love those tombacs, hope to get one myself someday. Really nice links Donnie! Congrats to both!

Donnie B
11-13-2017, 08:19 AM
It was a nice little site that was "cherry picked" at some time but they left a lot of low sounding targets lie the tombac buttons and missed a few high ones too. I was just lucky to get my coil over the really good sounding targets. here are a few of my pictures of my recoveries .

61541Some before and after of the tombacs , out of the 6 I recovered half had the machine etched designs that i'm very fond of 615426154361544615456154661547I also recovered a silver plated saddle maker plate that dates to around the 1860's to 1880's 61548Then a group shot of the cleaned up items , the two shoe buckle frames were very welcomed finds as I was in a drought of finding any since the beginning of the year and thought Lodge Scent may have cursed me from finding any more :lol: 61549 the two copper coin spill turned out to be both Connecticut state coppers but unfortunately both are in very very rough shape with limited detail .

Danny, you had a great and glorious, wonderful, day my friend! I love watching Dan dig shoe buckles. He calls it in the field before he gets them out of the hole. He just knows, instinctively, that if the target is deeper than his DFX indicates that it's going to be a shoe buckle. I was in shock when he brought the complete buckle to the surface and I have seen him do it before!

The Rebel
11-13-2017, 03:56 PM
WOW! Love the finds! Can't believe what they left behind.