PDA

View Full Version : I got “LUCKY” & awarded a certificate

Fire Fighter 43
11-11-2017, 12:20 PM
These are my finds from a short hunt on the banks of one of the swimming holes where I found the silver coins. It has been too cold to get in the water so I thought I would try the dry ground. As expected there was a ton of trash but I did manage a few keepers. The coolest was probably my first bird tag. I registered it and found out it was on a Great Horned Owl and was tagged in 2003. They typically live about 13 years so I’m guessing it died of natural causes. It was an interesting find in that I learned some thing about the tagging service and the whole process. I attached the certificate they sent me.
I managed two pieces of jewelry a copper bracket and a .925 necklace with the word Lucky engraved on it. I guess they weren’t so lucky after all. Other finds were a 1927-D wheat that was my first for that year and mint mark. It filled another hole in my cent book. Another unusual find was a Canadian cent that was holed and silver plated. Overall a good hunt with some unusual finds.

wisconsin digger
11-11-2017, 12:35 PM
That tag is a neat find. When I used to Goose hunt a lot I got 2 tagged birds. I was thinking of some exotic area they were tagged from and both birds were tagged in West bend (funny). Great finds WD

aloldstuff
11-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Lucky for YOU on that necklace...:lol:. Was all the information on the tag that you needed to check up on it? Just asking as I have two bird tags...

OxShoeDrew
11-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Lucky for YOU on that necklace...:lol::lol:
I'd also like to know how you contacted the bird people. Nice job, Jeff!

Fire Fighter 43
11-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Lucky for YOU on that necklace...:lol:. Was all the information on the tag that you needed to check up on it? Just asking as I have two bird tags...

There was an 800 number on the tag and that number directed me to this website.
https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/
Good luck with your search, it was interesting to see the type of bird and where/when it was tagged.

Digger_O'Dell
11-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Very cool finds, guess you are the lucky one!

Ken C
11-13-2017, 07:57 AM
I love the bird tag story. I didn't realize they did things like that. What a cool thing to find! :beerbuddy: