PDA

View Full Version : Detecting With Digger Don and Tim IllDigger--Killer Finds!

Full Metal Digger
11-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Hey Diggers,
Started the day with light rain and 39 degrees. I met Don at an old Courthouse he suggested. I wasn't there 3 minutes and got a scratchy 12-45 signal at 8 inches. I thought it might be a silver dime. What a surprise! 1873 Seated Quarter!!! Tim joined us a little bit later and we hunted there until 11:30. It was slim pickings and the only other good keepers I got was one mercury dime (1944) and 2 wheat cents (1909 & 1945).

We decided to go looking for a an old farm and instead found a little park (more like an empty field with a water pump in the middle). Tim figured out it was a park since he noticed it was on Park Street! All I found there was an old silver plated compact.

After an hour we decided to go door knocking in a nearby town. As luck would have it we got a yes on the very first knock. The house was Victorian and sat on a decent size corner lot. The lady mentioned they owned the cornfield across the street and there had been an old house there also. So while Don and Tim started working the yard I went across the street and started popping coins like crazy! I love detecting cornfields because most of the coins are right on the surface or only an inch or two deep. I found 2 really cool tokens and some silver and a gold ring. Later, under closer examination my 14K gold ring turned out to be only 14K gold filled. :girlcry:

I was very happy to get TWO bucket list items today. A seated quarter and a cigar token!

We finished the day with pizza and subs at a local eatery. Here is some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Digger Don
11-12-2017, 10:20 PM
:wow: What a day you had.:envious::shocked05:
That 73 Quarter set the tone for your day. It's amazing that it got missed by everyone else over the years. The courthouse had obviously been pounded to death.
The tokens and dog tag cleaned up great!! Congrats on a Very nice variety of silver, nickels and Indians.:perfect10:

I really had a good time today, thanks for meeting up with me today and thanks also for dinner!!
Take care, Don

Digger_O'Dell
11-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Wow, quite a haul. That seated is beautiful! :thumbsup02: Congrats on the cigar token and the rest of the great stuff.

Cheap Thrills
11-13-2017, 12:10 AM
Great stuff ! My favorite is the Dog license .

Ken C
11-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Wow, what a great bunch of finds there. That seated quarter is beautiful! :beerbuddy:

Lodge Scent
11-13-2017, 08:27 AM
One heck of a hunt ! :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
11-13-2017, 12:37 PM
You had an incredible day, Dave! I can't stop looking at that 1873 Seated Quarter! Congrats on your first. I have found four of them but yours is WAY nicer than any of mine. It's beautiful!

:perfect10:

The Rebel
11-13-2017, 03:52 PM
That Seated Quarter is AWESOME! I also love the dog tag, really neat! You really hit it outta the park in that field.

Oneil1979
11-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Beuatiful haul if you dont mind me asking what method are you useing for cleaning the tokens and tag? Yours appear to have a nice sheen to them mine are always dull. Any info is appreciated

Full Metal Digger
11-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Beuatiful haul if you dont mind me asking what method are you useing for cleaning the tokens and tag? Yours appear to have a nice sheen to them mine are always dull. Any info is appreciated
I use a pre-soaped SOS pad to polish the high spots. Gently rub the surface with the wet SOS pad in a circular motion. Press only hard enough to remove the gunk. If you press too hard you'll start removing details you might want to keep! Don't ask me how I know this though, it's a sad story.

aloldstuff
11-14-2017, 06:21 AM
Dave, nice group of keepers. Still waiting for my 1st seated quarter, congrats on yours. Are cigar tokens rarer ???

Donnie B
11-14-2017, 06:54 AM
Great post! Beautiful Seated, Cigar token and Dog Tag!

Bucknut
11-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Man what a crazy awesome day you had there! So many awesome finds! The seated Q is my favorite...but that token ain't too far behind!

wisconsin digger
11-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Definitely killer finds, congrats on all the finds, relics and coins. WD

Noah
11-15-2017, 08:06 PM
I heard of your epic hunt as Don was driving home. YOU KILLED IT!!:congrats:

Ill Digger
11-15-2017, 09:27 PM
If there was such a thing, I'd say you were the winner. :yes: :lol:
You kinda set the tone for the day with finding a Seated quarter within the first 15 minutes!
And she's a beauty too! Oh baby! :shocked04: You would've had a stellar day even if you would've just left and went home after finding that thing. But no. You stayed. Even after being told, numerous times, to go home or go sit in your car. You listen as good as my kids. :disgusted:

:lol: Seriously, it was just your day. It was definitely a cob day. :yes:
Tokens and old dog taxes are one of my favorite things to find as you know, and you found a nice array of those too. They go a long swimmingly with all the old siver coins you found! :thumbsup02:
Congrats buddy! :grin:
As always it was a blast detecting with you and Don. Thanks again for dinner.

daveca
11-16-2017, 05:24 AM
well done some great finds there

Mr. Digger
11-16-2017, 06:44 AM
What a great collection of finds. There is just something about Seated coins...I really love them. Man I would love to find one with arrows or a CC mint mark someday. Well done!