PDA

View Full Version : Fall update - Early Coins & Buttons!

Iron Patch
11-19-2017, 12:38 PM
I haven't posted much lately, so it's a great opportunity to do a Fall catch up post.

My friend and I have been back in the fields for about 7 weeks now, hunting 2-3 times a week... two times in the beginning but it has been going so incredibly well we upped it to three! https://metaldetectingforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif For all the years we have dug together I've never seen it this good where literally every hunt one of us made a very good find, sometimes both of us, and we both would go home with a nice pile of old items. Below is just my finds, his are every bit as good, and in some cases better. The reason I've decide to post today is last time out we finally had a hunt that didn't go so well... I had an average day with nothing great, but given how good it has been an average day this Fall feels like a strikeout. So this weekend I'm doing a little regrouping, going over what ideas I have left, and researching a few more sites to hope to finish the year strong... however long we have left.

Silver coins: Silver 3 cent, a neat King William (1800s) Sixpence that was cut down, and an 1825 British Shilling.

Coppers: King George coppers, a 1790s Conder, Hardtimes token, and my fav., my first Fugio!

Military buttons: 4 Early Artillery, a Navy, 2 Early Scottish.

Rev War buttons: An RP, two 3rd American, two King's American Regiment, two 42nd of foot (Black Watch) and what I consider my find of the year so far... a 23rd Regiment of Foot officer button. It was found at one of the first early sites I had ever hunted where I don't find much anymore, so what a surprise to see it come up.

I consider my Fall, which is basically my year, already made, but I hope I can post a few more things before the ground freezes.

Digger_O'Dell
11-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Incredible group of finds, congrats!

calabash digger
11-19-2017, 10:29 PM
very impressive finds! I'm chasing a rev war button myself and hope to join the club this year. WOW! you guys are killing it.

del
11-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Hey Chris , its great to see you post again !! What an incredible array of stellar finds sir :notworthy: I love the military , Loyalists and regimental buttons :loveit: and of course the coins and token and mega congrats on your first fugio . Were you able to get it attributed to a specific variety ?

Thanks for sharing .

Donnie B
11-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Stunning finds! Simply stunning! Congrats on your first Fugio!

aloldstuff
11-20-2017, 09:39 AM
This post should make everyone of us charge up our detectors and get out there swinging. Fantastic finds and you're having a great fall.
Thanks for posting

Iron Patch
11-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Hey Chris , its great to see you post again !! What an incredible array of stellar finds sir :notworthy: I love the military , Loyalists and regimental buttons :loveit: and of course the coins and token and mega congrats on your first fugio . Were you able to get it attributed to a specific variety ?

Thanks for sharing .

Unfortunately it's too far gone. When I got home that day there was so little to see, I near just through it in the crusty pile without cleaning it. But the little I could see didn't strike me as something I usually find, which I can always easily recognize, so my curiosity got me and made me clean it... and glad I did. I have dug a lot of Loyalist buttons, but early American coins are very tough to get a coil over here.

Bucknut
11-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Wow! When you post YOU POST! Those are amazing finds! Thanks for sharing.

Noah
11-21-2017, 12:32 PM
:notworthy: Don't know what to say!!

Ken C
11-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Very nice finds! Gotta love the KGS!! :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
11-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Incredible bunch of Colonial coins and relics! It's nice to see a post from you, Iron Patch. You certainly have been finding the good stuff. Coins and relics from that era are beyond our reach here in Illinois. I love those buttons! Some great coinage there too.

:congrats:

Mr. Digger
11-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Incredible finds IP, and nice job cleaning and photographing! I would love to find a Fugio.

milco
11-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Wow, amazing finds! Looks like some great finds and stellar recovery’s!

The Rebel
11-24-2017, 07:41 PM
WOW IP! You really found some great finds, love the little 6p! WTG on getting your 1st Fugio.

OxShoeDrew
11-25-2017, 10:33 AM
You found a small museum, Chris!!:shocked04: Unreal!!:omg: