PDA

View Full Version : I just dug this coin a couple of weekends ago

Laszlo
08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and a friend of mine Jack Flynn who posts regularly on this site thought you folks might enjoy seeing this rare coin I found. I've been relic hunting in South Carolina for over 20 yrs.In that time I've dug more than my fair share of old coins. This one tops them all though, and I've already been offered a small fortune for it. Even though the offer was pretty spectacular I've decided I'm going to keep it.Maybe one day the time might come where I have to part with it, but it's not going to be anytime soon <:

Laszlo

Beefcake
08-29-2010, 10:53 PM
OMG!!! That has got to be one of the Best finds I've seen.... That is in amazing condition... Is that the the half:huh: That is the first style of halves ever made! That could almost buy you a car! WOW

hockeyguy
08-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Wow...I've never seen one but it sure looks AMAZING...Great job! :clapping: :peace:

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2010, 12:20 AM
That is amazing . Big congrats !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 I was about to post my week end finds but I think I will pass now . lol

del
08-30-2010, 06:25 AM
beautiful coin Laszlo , you must have been thrilled to see something like that , have you had it slabbed yet ?? i would love to see what the coin grading companies would grade it as . congrats on an oustanding coin.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2010, 06:47 AM
very nice find! is it a half dollar? looks small for a half in your hand though? :confused:
congrats

Laszlo
08-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Sorry folks I didnt mention that it was a half dime. I havent sent it to be slabbed because the individual that made me the great offer ( and it was a good one) asked me not too. He also said that anytime I wanted to get rid of it I had his number and he was interested. He told me when I got tired of being the caretaker of such a nice coin to just call him and he'd love to be the new caretaker of it :). I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon though. I always dreamed of finding some of the earliest US silver and I got lucky and did it. Remember fella's if you want to find things like this it's all about location, location, location. I was using my new minelab omega 8000 for only the second time on this old site. I primarily use the T2 LTD but this new little omega is going to make me some more killer finds I know it. It's a great little detector!

Laszlo

RobW
08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
That's a great find!!! It's one's like that that make it ALL worth while.

tanacat
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
:shocked04: Wow that's great- congrats! Even if it's not a half lol I guess it won't buy you a car after all... I'll have to look it up, curious now!

Oh and welcome to the forum! :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Sorry folks I didnt mention that it was a half dime. I havent sent it to be slabbed because the individual that made me the great offer ( and it was a good one) asked me not too. He also said that anytime I wanted to get rid of it I had his number and he was interested. He told me when I got tired of being the caretaker of such a nice coin to just call him and he'd love to be the new caretaker of it :). I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon though. I always dreamed of finding some of the earliest US silver and I got lucky and did it. Remember fella's if you want to find things like this it's all about location, location, location. I was using my new minelab omega 8000 for only the second time on this old site. I primarily use the T2 LTD but this new little omega is going to make me some more killer finds I know it. It's a great little detector!

Laszlo

if you feel it should be sent in to be slabbed you should.i wouldn't be listening to anyone else.if slabbed that will only insure the authenticity and grade of this coin.it's a win /win situation no matter how you look at it

del
08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
if you feel it should be sent in to be slabbed you should.i wouldn't be listening to anyone else.if slabbed that will only insure the authenticity and grade of this coin.it's a win /win situation no matter how you look at it

i couldn't agree more Dave and it would only ensure you get top price for it at a later time down the road.

dave in iowa
08-30-2010, 02:45 PM
gotta be worth at least 8-10 thousand

jkress
08-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Just simply an amazing find!! :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

I'll bet your silver pile is very, very impressive.

Congrats and thanks for posting..... welcome to the forum!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2010, 06:22 PM
i couldn't agree more Dave and it would only ensure you get top price for it at a later time down the road.

I may be wrong but,i think this guy whoever it is wants to buy it and telling you it's say vf grade when in actuality it may be xf and he wants it for the lesser price.slabbed he would have to pay for the actual grade of the coin.just my thoughts why he don't want you to slab it ;)

coinnut
08-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Not to slab it?? That's just not right lol Some of the early mint issues can seem to the average collector as a lower grade coin. Coins in that time period can be weak struck, and therefore can grade much higher than you would assign them. If authentic (and no one was playing a joke on you), that coin may well be AU in condition. The value could quadruple in price. Not slab it?? lol I'd slab it in a heart beat. Only then would you know the real condition, genuineness, and value of it. Besides it would protect it, have a detailed picture of it (in case it were stolen - very hard to re-sell it) and I would only want PCGS or NGC to slab it. What a great find!!

Jack Flynn
08-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Absolutely beautiful coin Pete. I'm amazed at how small it really is. Now see if the detector can detect that horseshoe you have between your back pockets........ Gotta be one there thumbsup01 See ya soon. Heck post some of your otherjaw dropping finds buddy!