PDA

View Full Version : Returned the class ring today!

Full Metal Digger
11-26-2017, 12:00 AM
Hey Diggers,
Today I met up with Tom Hiluxyota, Noah, and Don for some quality detecting. We started at an 1800s park that had been picked so clean even the nail signals were squeaky. We went door knocking and it seemed like no one was home! Kind of like that Twilight Zone where everyone is gone.

Our next stop was a lovely old farmhouse where I returned the 1971 class ring I found last weekend. Diana was so happy to see her class ring after 42 years! She told us she is the only person in her family to have graduated high school and the ring meant a lot to her. She was heart broken when it was stolen in 1975 when their house was broken into and thought she'd never see it again. Even though I told her no reward was needed she gave me a lovely bag of chocolates and Pepperidge Farms Cheeses and Sausages PLUS 2 tins of Christmas cookies! She also included a lovely card and wrote:

I will never forget what you did for me! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

I was not prepared for how emotional it would be for a ring return!

After that we went to a nearby town for some door knocking. Everyone got silver but me!!!! Don scored an amazing 1916-D Barber quarter in superb shape. Tom got a Rosie and Merc, and Noah got a Merc. All I got was the dreaded NO SILVER DRIVE HOME OF SHAME!

Anyway, here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Bucknut
11-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Even though you found no silver you will always remember that ring return! Great job!

OxShoeDrew
11-26-2017, 11:51 AM
Even though you found no silver you will always remember that ring return! Great job!Yep, you'd forget some silver but that return will be etched in your memory! Nice job, Dave!!

Digger Don
11-26-2017, 04:54 PM
I can say one thing for sure. You Made Her Day!! Once she put it on her finger, she didn't want to take it off.
Great Job Dave.

I think I can safely say that all of us in the metal detecting community are proud of you!

Here is a link to the return video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwaLNCyANo&t=0s

Digger_O'Dell
11-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Very awesome ring return! :perfect10: Even though you got no silver, the good deed was golden!

wisconsin digger
11-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Just watched the video. Nice job recording a great event. Thx for posting a great story and yes one does wonder how the ring ended up there after being stolen. WD

aloldstuff
11-29-2017, 05:54 PM
I can say that we are all so proud of you for that ring return. Great job. Stolen in 1975 I can see how she would be so happy to have it back......forget about that NO SILVER DRIVE HOME OF SHAME.

:perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
11-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Kudos to you for the return of that ring, Dave! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

To put a smile on someone's face like that is worth more than any treasure! The video of the return is wonderful. Gestures like this really improve the perception of metal detecting to the general public. My hat is off to you!

:perfect10: