PDA

View Full Version : Recent quick hunt

Oneil1979
11-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Got out for a hour before work, I believe the first pic is a shoe buckle ( your input is appreciated) I did break that piece but the other piece thats missing was no were to be found ( for now). The second is a pewter spoon that has iron on the inside ( any idea on date?) next is some buttons with no marks one is a flat oval the other 2 piece. Third is the hurd frig cold storage tag the info I have is made in Minnesota late 1800’s, a tag I believe is cow the piece was broke and I cant make out the last name. I also included the shells I found hundreds under a tree research shows they are from a tommy gun circa 1920 I could just imagine someone under the tree on a hill top just enjoying themselves with this gun:) the braclet you can see in the cold storage picture was a heart racer gave a perfect nickle signal when I popped the plug I saw gold but its just a junker was fun none the less. HH yall.

del
11-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Hello Oneil , the first picture is indeed a shoe buckle frame piece , it looks kind of greyish in the picture and that would indicate pewter as well but if the metal has a greenish appearance that would suggest a copper- brass alloy . Dating these are very subjective and much has to do to size , style , curvature , composition and center pin holes type. With all that in mind I can only suggest its a mid to late 1700's era buckle and there is a good chance the other half is with in a 100 yards from where you found this .

Pewter spoons can have a lot of age to them but they were still being made and used well into the 1800's , again dating them is determined by the handle end style , bowl shape and attachment point where the bowl and handle meet.

The oval button is very interesting and looks to be a large cufflink type maybe an 1820's to 40's era one , is there any design on the front ? the other button is hard to tell because of the dirt build up around the shank and a better picture of that and side profile will help greatly in id'ing it.

Overall very good finds and great indicators of an old area your swing your coil , no telling what other goodies are buried nearby.

Dan

Lodge Scent
11-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Nice bunch of finds. More goodies to be found there no doubt.

calabash digger
11-29-2017, 08:29 AM
congrats on the finds!

aloldstuff
11-29-2017, 05:44 PM
When I saw the oval button I immediately thought cuff link. Definitely an old site....keep at it. :thumbsup02: