PDA

View Full Version : More old coins and relics from November

BTV Digger
12-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Hi folks and here's hoping you all had a great Thanksgiving! Here's pics from my last three hunts, mainly from mid to late November. Hit two permission sites and one on public property. Ironically the shortest of the three hunts yielded the best goodies. Nabbed two wheats (1925 & 1936), an 1865 IH and a decent 1775 KG3 halfpenny. Also found several flat buttons, buckles and lead - mainly typical fare for those. I'd like your take on the triangular lead item with loop. Could be junk but the equilateral triangle pattern makes me think it may be decorative, like something for leather or horse tack? Let me know your opinions on that one. It's gonna be turning quite a bit colder in the coming weeks so I'm not sure how much more decent hunting time I have left until spring 2018. I'll certainly try if the weather permits. Have a great Christmas and New Years all!

John

del
12-02-2017, 04:01 AM
Nice hunts John , the triangular item is curious . It could of been a latch to a leather handbag , or similar but the King George looks to be in very decent shape . I suspect its a contemporary british counterfeit and is that a counter stamp on it ?

Digger_O'Dell
12-02-2017, 07:33 AM
Good hunting John. I agree with Dan on the triangular piece. May be the last weekend of good hunting weather here in Wisconsin too since the mention of the possibility of snow this next week. Happy holidays to you as well!

BTV Digger
12-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Nice hunts John , the triangular item is curious . It could of been a latch to a leather handbag , or similar but the King George looks to be in very decent shape . I suspect its a contemporary british counterfeit and is that a counter stamp on it ?

Thanks for the possible ID Dan. That makes more sense than something decorative. I thought the obverse mark on the KG3 may be a counterstamp as well, but it's just crude enough to make me second guess whether it's just natural corrosion. In my reading I see that quite a bit of those older KG3's are either American or British counterfeits. You're much more of an expert than I. How can you tell? It rang up with a VDI of ~80 on my AT-Pro, though the diameter is a little less than the 29-30mm quoted for the genuine coin (~ 27 mm).

Good hunting John. I agree with Dan on the triangular piece. May be the last weekend of good hunting weather here in Wisconsin too since the mention of the possibility of snow this next week. Happy holidays to you as well!

Thanks much. Yeah, I'm becoming confined more and more just to valley floor sites now. Mountains will be locked down and frozen for good here in a week or two through next March.

del
12-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Many of the American British counterfeits were made in New York (Machin Mills) and their listed or noted very well here http://www.novanumismatics.com/engraving/americas-machins-mills-contemporary-counterfeit-halfpence/ the counterfeit British coins are a bit harder to identify but there is some links available and there are a couple of gentlemen (members here ) who know their British coins .

OxShoeDrew
12-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Congrats, John! Here's to a mild winter with little snow :beerbuddy:

Lodge Scent
12-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Interesting KG John. A couple of interesting mystery pieces too.

BTV Digger
12-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Many of the American British counterfeits were made in New York (Machin Mills) and their listed or noted very well here http://www.novanumismatics.com/engraving/americas-machins-mills-contemporary-counterfeit-halfpence/ the counterfeit British coins are a bit harder to identify but there is some links available and there are a couple of gentlemen (members here ) who know their British coins .

Great. Thanks Dan!

Congrats, John! Here's to a mild winter with little snow :beerbuddy:

For sure Drew. Thanks much.

Interesting KG John. A couple of interesting mystery pieces too.

Thanks Jeff. Yeah, I seem to be on a stretch of pulling oddities lately. :thinkingabout: