PDA

View Full Version : Toil in da' soil

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
I haven't been posting any finds lately as the good ones have been too far and few between . It got so bad I couldn't even bring myself to go hunting for awhile even after our brief heat spell ended . This weekend I was ready to go again . I put in two 5hr. days , the first with an Explorer SE and the second with a Tesoro built Troy X-2 . I hit a small dirt playfield ( about 90'x90' ) at a school I have now hunted several times . The first day I crawled along with the SE and found 2 of the wheats , the Silver earring and most of my high tone clad ( not one nickel in the bunch) . The next day I dug everything and the amount of can slaw and zincs was horrendous , surprisingly enough very few pulltabs and bottle caps . The Troy sniffed out the 46s Roosie on the last hr. of the hunt (it was a few inches away from a chopped up coke can I dug up ) . It ( the Roosie) rang so loud and with such a tone variation I thought it could have been either a clad quarter or a half it was 3 deep (if that). This hunt gave up 14 nickels ( all common Jeffersons).The wheat's were 56', 52' and 40 . 3 foreign coins in the mix , a 2005 Mexican 10 peso ,1985 British pound and a 53 Canadian cent . Also found 2 religious crosses . toy jet , Buzz magnet and an Olympics pin .The Buzz magnet had me going a bit crazy for a while because it had a long chopped ,crackly , broken signal like a cheap , thick chain or bracelet might have . It also registered on the Troy's coin check . I cut a plug , grabbed the pro-pointer checked it , the hole and all around the hole NO SIGNAL , what the .... ? Ran the coil over everything still nothing went to fill the hole thinking that maybe something was wrong with the detector :confused: . Grabbed my digger and there was the magnet sticking to the shaft . :shocked04:stretcher:
The deepest find was with the SE , it was the older more ornate cross at about 6 . everything else was pretty much at the 3 and 4 mark . You can rest assured this spot has been hit for years and cherry picked with Explorers and E-tracs .
This is a very old school and was told by another detectorist that on his first trip there { several years ago ) with some friends they found Indian heads and Barbers . I haven't been able to find
anything older than Merc's or wheats I'll bet all the really old stuff is under that asphalt playground :thinkingabout: . Oh yeah , $5.03 in clad . Thanks for looking .

H H ,
SY

coinnut
08-30-2010, 06:56 PM
So when are you gonna tear up that pesky asphalt? lol I bet there are Barbers just waiting for you (along with the cops lol) still a good hunt. Do you hunt with an open screen with the SE?? I bet there is some old silver just hiding from you. You got silver, a bunch of other good finds, got to hunt for hours, and didn't get skunked. A successful hunt!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
nice job! was wondering why ya haven't been posting :thinkingabout:

del
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
i think everyone gets to feeling like that every once in a while Sheik , well maybe not Angel ( he's not human you know) lol lol but dry spells can really test your metal if you know what i mean ;) and taking a step back or a break can really recharge the batteries . its good to see ya posting again and don't worry the finds will come , stop trying so hard and have some fun . congrats on the loot.

Dan

SeabeeRon
08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Good haul Seik!! I'll come up and help you beack up that AC pavement! :drool:

Epi-hunter
08-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Glad you see you posting again! Take a sledgehammer and get rid of that asphalt lol

Hey, at least you found some silver. You never know what you might find next time that was missed before. I love old school sites.

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
So when are you gonna tear up that pesky asphalt? lol I bet there are Barbers just waiting for you (along with the cops lol) still a good hunt. Do you hunt with an open screen with the SE?? I bet there is some old silver just hiding from you. You got silver, a bunch of other good finds, got to hunt for hours, and didn't get skunked. A successful hunt!!

There's a Police station right across the street lol. No, I haven't hunted with an open screen . Hmmm , I may have to give that a try , thanks for the suggestion George .

Say Heavy M , still fondling that GW , I sure would be !! lol

Thanks for the words of wisdom Del . I am re-charged a bit and really enjoyed the weekend .

Thanks Seabeeron with your Naval construction experience we should have that asphalt removed in no time . I'll send a truck full of donuts driven by a couple of topless dancers across the street as a diversion to keep the local Gendarmes busy . thumbsup01

Thanks Epi , as you can see I have a brilliant plan in the works. lol I agree old school sites rock most of my silver has come from old schools .

pulltabsteve
08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Keep hitting that spot. If other were digging Barbers and IHs a few years ago, Im sure there are more there. Love that old looking cross!!! :peace:

randy
08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Congrats on that silver. There has got to be more there.

coinnut
08-30-2010, 08:42 PM
No, I haven't hunted with an open screen . Hmmm , I may have to give that a try , thanks for the suggestion George .

Someone with an SE should be able to give you a good set up. I think it was open screen and ferrous sounds?? I think a lot of seasoned guys use that setting swinging real slow, high sensitivity, and watch that screen. But hopefully someone will get the right program for you. There must be some good deep coins still there. Maybe no one with an Explorer or E Trac has been there? You never know. I would still have high expectations, since some old coins have come out of there in the past. Good luck.

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Someone with an SE should be able to give you a good set up. I think it was open screen and ferrous sounds?? I think a lot of seasoned guys use that setting swinging real slow, high sensitivity, and watch that screen. But hopefully someone will get the right program for you. There must be some good deep coins still there. Maybe no one with an Explorer or E Trac has been there? You never know. I would still have high expectations, since some old coins have come out of there in the past. Good luck.

George ,I believe that setting is as you say it is with the iron mask off . Seem to remember that from Andy's E-trac / Explorer book which I lent out several months ago ( big mistake) :bangahead01: . I'll read the manual , I should be able to figure it out from that . I was a little hesitant to get into the open screen /ferrous sounds because I heard it could be a bit overwhelming with all the noise . I guess it's time to start expanding my consciousness once again . lol
Thanks Randy and Steve. the old cross was one of my first finds and it sounded off well , I figured the silver was going to start coming up by the handfull , I was mistaken . lol