PDA

View Full Version : Last finds of the year

del
12-31-2017, 01:25 PM
Well the brutal temps and snow are upon us here in New England and my season is finally at an end but I had two decent outings (Dec. 21st and Dec. 30th) before the year !:cheering:

Thursday the 21st Heavymetalnut and Donnie B. drove out to the far side of the state and hit a couple of cellar sites , this where Donnie recovered his Rev. war era waist buckle (Great find by the way Donnie :clapping:) and I scoffed up an 1833 large cent 6266162662 , but unfortunately the site was very depleted of goodies and it took hours of searching to come up with this one coin . We moved onto a site that Dave had remembered to having been there before and told us it was very quiet with little to find :shocked05:! WTG Dave put us in a discouraging mood from the get go !:yes: Unfortunately he was right but we were running out of daylight (as the days are much shorter this time of year) so we spent the last hour or two . I did get a very scratchy tone in the road and noticed that some one in the past opened up a small hole , I see this pretty common at cellar sites . other people hear a good or iffy target and dig down and see its iron or realize its too big to retrieve , maybe they are just lazy when its an iron target ?:dontknow: All I know is I hear iron but to me on my machine it was like there may have been something non ferrous mixed or very close to it :yes: My method from there is to isolate the iron or the larger target and remove it from the picture , I dug the iron and reswept the hole and I hear a nice sweet tone :grin: and pull out a silver thimble :smitten:. 62663 Thank you very much , lazy or very inexperienced detectorist ! :lol:

Yesterday Dec. 30th was a cold one 4 degrees in the morning , about 2 inches of snow already on the ground with another inch forecasted to come down :frozen: Heavymetalnut was almost an hour late :ticked: , boy did he hear about it while we were waiting in the cold for him :rofl: Donnie and two guests (Rick and Ron Y.) all headed out in the artic barren 62664in search of some colonial "treasure" :lol:.

Our first stop was a an odd site and we were unsure of its authenticity of being a cellar so we dropped coils for about 20 minutes ! Ron got a copper coin after about 15 minutes , a while later his brother Rick found a decent colonial neck stock buckle and we knew we had a cellar hole . ;) The finds were sparse for the next few hours but I managed a broken shoe buckle and a gold Victorian cufflink 62665:bananadance::cheering::loveit: ! Dave and the Yingling Bros. had to leave early and it was so cold I really couldn't blame them one bit :lol: Donnie and I found another site 62666and that where I got an older type crotal bell , thimble and a tiny shoe buckle 62667and I believe its and oldie too . By this time it was getting late , the snow was coming down good and the temps dropped considerably :yes:.

I believe the shoe buckle is a 1690 to 1720 type based on the size and style as its very similar to the silver one I found a few years ago on the right 62668making that last site a very old one and good reason to go back and see what else it around .

Thank for reading !

Dan

calabash digger
12-31-2017, 02:32 PM
congrats on the finds you guys make finding the old goodies look easy.. I love to see the post of cellar hole hunts.

Lodge Scent
12-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Good job to even get out Dan. Excellent work sniffing out those goodies. How many coils passed over that iron-masked thimble over the years. That copper has plenty of detail left. That gold must have warmed your frozen feet. I am sure the shoe buckle saw you coming and just jumped into your finds pouch.:envious: Nice couple of hunts to end the year.

Full Metal Digger
12-31-2017, 06:09 PM
Awesome finds Del! Does the thimble have any engraving? The cufflink is real beauty too. Thanks for sharing and HH in 2018, Dave.

Donnie B
12-31-2017, 06:46 PM
Congratulations on those awesome finds! I love the buckle and can't wait to hit that site again. There are some really old coins waiting there for us. Thanks again for taking me under your wing and for all the rides and talks during our time travels. Happy New Year, my friend!

Digger_O'Dell
12-31-2017, 08:13 PM
All awesome finds, certainly makes it worth freezing your sandals off!
:lolsign:

Oneil1979
12-31-2017, 09:46 PM
Nice details on the largie, silver thimble still on my bucket list. Nice you got out before the freeze.

BTV Digger
01-01-2018, 04:31 AM
Very nice year end hunt Dan! :thumbsup02: Congrats on the Victorian gold and another oldie of a shoe buckle! I'm still looking for my first. Kudos to you guys braving the cold. That second site definitely warrants a return trip in a few months.

John

Ill Digger
01-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Cellar hole gold!!! Whoo hoo!!! :yahoo:
It's getting frightfully cold out there Dan. Looks like you got out for some end of the year hunting just in the nick of time :frozen:
Sweet little silver thimble! Great dig on that one! :notworthy:
And a the LC is nice and crisp!:groovy:
Congrats my friend! :grin:

aloldstuff
01-01-2018, 03:10 PM
What a way to end the year. Gold, copper, buckle and a great silver thimble. You are a much braver man than me getting out in this weather. Looking forward to your 2018 finds.

Digger Don
01-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Great finds Dan. I love that gold cuff link, great recovery.
i'm glad you got rewarded for putting up with the cold.:frozen:

milco
01-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Sweet finds Dan! The gold cuff link looks to be a great find!

del
01-01-2018, 06:47 PM
congrats on the finds you guys make finding the old goodies look easy.. I love to see the post of cellar hole hunts.

Yes we have been told many times of "how easy us east coaster's have it out this way " :lol: its a labor of love I guess ! Thanks "CD"

Good job to even get out Dan. Excellent work sniffing out those goodies. How many coils passed over that iron-masked thimble over the years. That copper has plenty of detail left. That gold must have warmed your frozen feet. I am sure the shoe buckle saw you coming and just jumped into your finds pouch.:envious: Nice couple of hunts to end the year.

Jeff I started 2017 with a shoe buckle and ended my year with one but I'm sure your not surprised about that ;) Its amazing how unimportant the cold is when your finding things :lol: Thanks sir !

Awesome finds Del! Does the thimble have any engraving? The cufflink is real beauty too. Thanks for sharing and HH in 2018, Dave.

Thank you Dave , the Thimble looked like the top was repaired at some point as the whole top end has a hole but is also copper while the main sides are silver and it does have initials or monogrammed into it MCJ and does correspond to the last name of the home's occupants James .I saw your beautiful thimble with the "scrimshaw" artwork , what a nice find sir !

Congratulations on those awesome finds! I love the buckle and can't wait to hit that site again. There are some really old coins waiting there for us. Thanks again for taking me under your wing and for all the rides and talks during our time travels. Happy New Year, my friend!

Happy New year Donnie , Its been a real joy and lots of laughs with you this past year sir. I admire your passion and dedication to make the long ride out every weekend , 2018 should be even better !Thanks

All awesome finds, certainly makes it worth freezing your sandals off!
:lolsign:

Sure does Chris , doing it with friends make the adventure that more enjoyable too ! Thank you sir !

Nice details on the largie, silver thimble still on my bucket list. Nice you got out before the freeze.

The large cent had some good detail and I'll show it off shortly , Thanks

Very nice year end hunt Dan! :thumbsup02: Congrats on the Victorian gold and another oldie of a shoe buckle! I'm still looking for my first. Kudos to you guys braving the cold. That second site definitely warrants a return trip in a few months.

John

John the Victorian cufflink was out of context to the old colonial cellar and very unexpected , I feel the front has a very heavy layer of gold but the rest was just plated . I wish you the best in 2018 my friend !

Cellar hole gold!!! Whoo hoo!!! :yahoo:
It's getting frightfully cold out there Dan. Looks like you got out for some end of the year hunting just in the nick of time :frozen:
Sweet little silver thimble! Great dig on that one! :notworthy:
And a the LC is nice and crisp!:groovy:
Congrats my friend! :grin:

Thanks Tim , it has been nice these last few weekends because Dave has been joining us out and the fun and "banter" only multiplies :lol:

What a way to end the year. Gold, copper, buckle and a great silver thimble. You are a much braver man than me getting out in this weather. Looking forward to your 2018 finds.

Al , its funny "braver" isn't the word she uses :hystericallaugh:, the drive home on Saturday was terrible as the roads were pretty bad in areas . Thank you .

Great finds Dan. I love that gold cuff link, great recovery.
i'm glad you got rewarded for putting up with the cold.:frozen:

Don , I've just been very fortunate with some nice finds these last few months is all , Thank you !

OxShoeDrew
01-02-2018, 03:21 PM
You are more hardcore than me! Too freakin cold! All the sites are getting quiet. :(
I remember you finding that silver buckle :cheesysmile:
You had a very good year, bud! Looks like 4-8in of snow Thursday :girlcry: Congrats on some nice detecting!

del
01-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Sweet finds Dan! The gold cuff link looks to be a great find!

Thanks Darren , it surely was unexpected !

You are more hardcore than me! Too freakin cold! All the sites are getting quiet. :(
I remember you finding that silver buckle :cheesysmile:
You had a very good year, bud! Looks like 4-8in of snow Thursday :girlcry: Congrats on some nice detecting!

It was very cold Drew , I had forgotten my knee pads as it keeps the knees dry but the good news is it was so cold my knees didn't stay wet they froze once I started walking around :lol: Hey have you ever been back to that spot where I found that buckle ? Did you find anything else there ?

Dan

OxShoeDrew
01-02-2018, 07:07 PM
hope, never went back. That second building might be free of vegetation now.

Cooper
01-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Super nice finds