PDA

View Full Version : More Wheats, Big Old Silver

z118
08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
I got out for a nice evening hunt tonight. I headed to one of my best spots where I have hunted some 24 times before tonight, pulling around 1,400 coins total. Finds have obviously slowed down at this spot. For some reason one half of the area became un-huntable with the Sov in a few earlier trips this year. I'm guessing it is some sort of EMI - the Sov would not hold a threshhold tone and would go nuts on every swing, even at a low sensitivity. I was curious to see how the E-Trac would handle it.

Long story short, the E-Trac was affected too, though not as badly as the Sov. I was able to hunt this area, although only very slowly. I wound up with 40 coins total worth $4.57 which includes 5 wheats. At one point, in an area without interference where the E-Trac was running well, I got a deep tone that just sounded different. I imediately thought deep silver coin. I pulled a huge plug, but the signal was still in the hole. I dug and dug, and then far down in the hole was the glint of silver... but not a coin. I brushed some dirt aside and realized what it was - some kind of silverware. Still a nice find for me... I've dug a million spoons, knives, forks, but this is the first in sterling.

Other finds included a deep old corroded compact and a key fragment.

My E-Trac is doing well on wheats... I hope silver is not far behind!

happy hunting...

jkress
08-30-2010, 08:24 PM
The knife is incredible!!! :shocked04:

I have never pulled a solid silver utensil. I love the markings on the back.

A big congrats to you.

z118
08-30-2010, 08:27 PM
The knife is incredible!!! :shocked04:

I have never pulled a solid silver utensil. I love the markings on the back.

A big congrats to you.

Thanks! You know, I've got to wonder though, what exactly is there to patent about a knife? :huh:

Epi-hunter
08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
The design gets patented.

That is a beautiful sterling knife!!! :shocked04:

Did you hit noise cancel when noticing the E-Trac had some EMI issues?

coinnut
08-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Great find!! Is that a spreading knife? lol Butter I think or maybe jam ;) Very huge hunk of silver and congrats to you and that E Trac for finding it. :clapping: As for the pattenting a knife? :confused: I guess you don't want anyone to steal you ultimate spreading design :dontknow: Probably a way to deter copying. You may want to fool with some settings and keep at that side, since it was mostly unhuntable and should have more of the same for you and hopefully some more silver too :beerbuddy:

angellionel
08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Wow! A sterling silver knife, and in great shape! :drool: What a sweet find!

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Awesome sterling knife a real symbol of elegance.
Pardon me , would you have any Grey Poupon?

dave in iowa
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Would it be Rogers silver . i have a few pc. made by them or him?

z118
08-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the replies all. The knife was made by Reed & Barton. The pattern is called Les Cinc Fleurs. You can see a pic at:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RDSLECF.htm

You will need to scroll down and click on flat handled butter spreader.

Another link, about the maker.... they are located in Taunton, Ma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_%26_Barton

z118
08-31-2010, 06:52 AM
The design gets patented.

That is a beautiful sterling knife!!! :shocked04:

Did you hit noise cancel when noticing the E-Trac had some EMI issues?

Thanks! I did hit noise cancel both when I arrived and then again as I moved into the troublesome area. The E-trac did change channels the second time. It seemed to help a little bit, as did reducing the sensitivity.

kenfen
08-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Great find! I'm sure there's more to come. I'd stay with that site. Wonder where the EMI is coming from?

I look forward to seeing the silver you find.

Regards, Ken

catskillcomics
08-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Wow, big ole silver knife :happydance01: Great job!