PDA

View Full Version : Found this last year but didn't know what I had....

Lodge Scent
01-11-2018, 10:43 PM
I thought it was a fancy saddle rosette until I recently cleaned it up a bit. As I brushed away layers of crud, the outline of a sailing ship came into view. Further cleaning of the ribbon below the ship revealed it was the Niagara! This was a famous ship in the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812. The Niagara apparently turned a rout by the British fleet into a major Naval Victory for the US and turned the tide of the entire war.

https://i.imgur.com/wlY4E2x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KlBWV18.jpg

I am guessing this is likely a commemorative buckle made shortly after the war was over. Perhaps even worn by someone that served on the Niagara !

Jeff

del
01-11-2018, 11:24 PM
Its a very rare commemorative rosette Jeff but does it commemorate the historic battle in 1814 or when it was finally sunk in 1820 ? I think its a super piece of early U.S. Naval history !!:cheering:

calabash digger
01-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Man that's a great find there for sure!

Donnie B
01-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Very unique find! Congratulations!

aloldstuff
01-12-2018, 01:03 PM
WTG Jeff...amazing what is under a layer of crud....:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
01-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Wow, Jeff! Will you coat that with some clear glue/water now? Congrats on the find, then find again!

Lodge Scent
01-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks gents!

Dan do you think it is a rosette rather than a buckle of some sort?

Drew, any pewter or pewterish relics get a good coating of my wife's $12 a can hairspray. Works great.

OxShoeDrew
01-12-2018, 05:38 PM
That is sooo cool Jeff...hair spray??? Never heard that. Thanks! I think it's definitely a rosette but I've been known to wrong at times :lol:
$12 for hair spray?? Holy cow!! Hair spray doesn't get on my radar :lol:

OxShoeDrew
01-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Although, now that I look at it...rosette back bar is usually off center...that one is pretty centered.

Lodge Scent
01-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Yeah Drew, I had no idea hairspray cost that much until I pilfered my wife's can. She scolded me for not taking the $4 hairspray. I guess I should have known the difference before I went and swiped it from her. :dontknow: I used that on my pewter USA button and it has held up nicely for 3 or 4 years.

That back bar is right in the middle.

del
01-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Hairspray ?? I personally haven't used any since the "big hair" days :rofl: Jeff , I'm very confident its a rosette but its so odd for an early piece to be this far from the location of its history unless it was huge news and notoriety was wide spread . Its a very unique item , I like it a lot !