PDA

View Full Version : Sunday the 14th

del
01-19-2018, 05:31 AM
I managed to get out in the cold again after the quick thaw we had melted most of our snow !:cheering:Donnie , Rick an I headed back to the last site we did well at a few weeks ago This particular site then netted me a very old crotal bell , and very old (possible 1600's era) tiny shoe buckle and thimble 62759 . so with that knowledge I wanted to get back there for two reasons , 1. it coughed up these targets in a relatively short amount of time and 2. there could be 1600's era coins about !

The site in the summer sports a ton of ferns which make it difficult to swing in and after our snowfall the dead ferns are mostly matted down flat and makes it so much easier to cover the ground (hopefully Donnie will post a video or two and you can see how the ground looks ) plus the soil is very saturated by all the melted snow making all the metal sound off loud and clear .

My first great sounding target was a large brass horse carriage shaft tip near the barn area and then soon I got a very decent shotgun shell sounding target but it was much deeper than they usually are . 62760 A decent looking two piece eagle button :happydance01:After sweeping the area good and hearing nothing else I moved on to another spot this time in the matted ferns . I picked up a few finds there , a couple complete spoons (one brass and one iron) and also picked up a loud target !:shocked03: To my surprise it was another good sized crotal bell 62761:happydance02:. Not far away I got a decent drawer or desk keyhole escutcheon plate 62762and before the day was over I got that 1600's coin too !

Its pretty worn and hard to make out but its an early French coin (Liard de France) , holed but I'll take it !:yahoo:62763 If you look hard enough you can just make out the letters FRANC the E is very hard to see but I can make out the letters DE just above "France" The bust side almost worn flat but its looks like the older bust . This is what the coin looked like uncirculated back then 62764. Inspite of its poor shape I am very pleased to have knocked such an early coin (1600's) off my 2018 list and so early in the year too !

Here was the days take 62765 the bell cleaned up 62766 and the button 62767 I was very interested in seeing the thread on the back of the button that once held it to the uniform more than a 150 years later !:shocked04:62768

Great hunt for January ! Thanks for reading all !

Dan

calabash digger
01-19-2018, 07:06 AM
Congrats on getting out and getting those relics. That thread is cool on that button. What will you put on it to preserve it?

catskillcomics
01-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Nice digs, that crotal cleaned up nicely

Donnie B
01-19-2018, 09:47 AM
That was an awesome hunt Danny! :envious: You killed it with that DFX! Congrats on the Liard and the first 1600's coin of the year! You had a suspicion after finding the buckle the first hunt that there was a 1600's coin at that site. I have learned to trust your hunches! Here's a short video of the "ferns."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TFHN6N7Ps&feature=youtu.be

Tony Two-Cent
01-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Great finds, Dan! That is definitely an OLD site that has a lot of potential! I hope you are able to hunt it thoroughly before the ferns come back.

I love the button, buckles, crotal bell and the LIARD DE FRANCE.

:congrats:

Donnie B
01-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Here's the Liard De France :envious: !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH8DTOpT40k&feature=youtu.be

Bucknut
01-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Wow! Awesome mid January hunt for sure! Glad you could ID that coin.

Noah
01-19-2018, 10:42 AM
I hope to make some nice finds myself with Digger Don and Al the end of March. Keep inspiring!!!

Full Metal Digger
01-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Awesome, awesome, awesome finds Del! Love the coin and crotal bell. The crotal bell looks to be completely smooth with no designs. Is that rare? Seems like they always have the petals engraved.

Digger_O'Dell
01-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Awesome hunt and exceptional finds, especially for January! I love old bells for some reason, and yours is one great example. Not only is it a large size and in great shape, you can tell it's age by the shape being more oval instead of round. That Laird is also a great find and certainly helps date the site. I suspect you will find a lot more 1600s items around there. Congrats and looking forward to your next round of finds!

Lodge Scent
01-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Heck of a hunt there Dan. That is a banner-worthy crotal bell for sure :loveit:. I would like to see that little shoe buckle cleaned up too. Nice hit on the liard :envious:

The Rebel
01-19-2018, 02:45 PM
That's awesome Dan! Still looking for my 1st Frenchie! Bet the ground is frozen solid now...

Cooper
01-19-2018, 09:02 PM
Nice finds like the bell real well cleaned up nice how hard is it to dig right now and is this weather hard on batteries or detector I'm in Southeastern Ohio been cold here for a month and still have snow on the ground but suppose to warm up for a few days

aloldstuff
01-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Dan, WTG on that 1600's Liard. Love that huge crotal bell also. By the way, was there any frost that you had to dig thru???

del
01-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Congrats on getting out and getting those relics. That thread is cool on that button. What will you put on it to preserve it?

I'll use either a urethane or might try a wax or oil base product , I really haven't decided yet but those seem to be the best options . thanks CD

Nice digs, that crotal cleaned up nicely

I used a soft brass brush under a warm water faucet , Thank you

Great finds, Dan! That is definitely an OLD site that has a lot of potential! I hope you are able to hunt it thoroughly before the ferns come back.

I love the button, buckles, crotal bell and the LIARD DE FRANCE.

:congrats:

Thanks Tony , sure wished I was the first guy swinging this site , no telling what I would of found !

Wow! Awesome mid January hunt for sure! Glad you could ID that coin.

Thank you Bucknut , it was nice to get out .

I hope to make some nice finds myself with Digger Don and Al the end of March. Keep inspiring!!!

Looking toward seeing and getting out with you two again Don , Thanks .

Awesome, awesome, awesome finds Del! Love the coin and crotal bell. The crotal bell looks to be completely smooth with no designs. Is that rare? Seems like they always have the petals engraved.

Dave , crotal bells come with the cast "petal' design and no design or plain either type can be very old but this one has a "drilled" hole top and is significantly newer than the last one I found there . Thanks sir .

Awesome hunt and exceptional finds, especially for January! I love old bells for some reason, and yours is one great example. Not only is it a large size and in great shape, you can tell it's age by the shape being more oval instead of round. That Laird is also a great find and certainly helps date the site. I suspect you will find a lot more 1600s items around there. Congrats and looking forward to your next round of finds!

Thank you Chris , I hope to bring the bigger coil back up to that site as i'm sure more stuff is around .

Heck of a hunt there Dan. That is a banner-worthy crotal bell for sure :loveit:. I would like to see that little shoe buckle cleaned up too. Nice hit on the liard :envious:

Jeff , the small buckle is pretty plain and I wished it had more of the chape and tongue . Thanks

That's awesome Dan! Still looking for my 1st Frenchie! Bet the ground is frozen solid now...

The ground wasn't too bad when we were there , as for "frenchies" its only my second one . Thank you Roger.

Nice finds like the bell real well cleaned up nice how hard is it to dig right now and is this weather hard on batteries or detector I'm in Southeastern Ohio been cold here for a month and still have snow on the ground but suppose to warm up for a few days

Cooper , the cold can be an issue to the machines . Mine does act erratic when temps are below 10 degrees and the lcd screen is sluggish or doesn't work at all :lol: so I have to go by sound only . the woods around here usually have a good layer of leaves to insulate the ground but the frost can be a couple of inches deep at time. Thanks

Dan, WTG on that 1600's Liard. Love that huge crotal bell also. By the way, was there any frost that you had to dig thru???

Al only near the exposed rocks was the ground very firm or frozen , Thanks

OxShoeDrew
01-20-2018, 02:56 PM
HOLY WOW, DAN!!! GREATNESS!! :notworthy: Like Chris and some others, I too would take that crotal if I had to choose one...but a 1600s coin is very pleasant too!! Hey, who is Rick? What was his second coin? Maybe I missed it in the video.

Digger_O'Dell
01-20-2018, 05:42 PM

Cooper, I use my machine year round if possible here in Wisconsin. If the ground is too frozen like it is now I try to find open water to hunt. I personally haven't had any issues or noticed any significant battery life differences even when ive been out when it was -20 a couple years ago. The only problem was ice coating everything once a wet surface got exposed to the air. The display gets hard to read under an eighth inch of ice. Plus the grip and scoop handle can get very slippery. The trick is once they get wet, to try and keep them submerged as much as possible to prevent freezing.

del
01-20-2018, 06:32 PM
HOLY WOW, DAN!!! GREATNESS!! :notworthy: Like Chris and some others, I too would take that crotal if I had to choose one...but a 1600s coin is very pleasant too!! Hey, who is Rick? What was his second coin? Maybe I missed it in the video.

Drew , Rick is a local to Manchester and a fellow Y.T.C. member and friend . the two coins he found that day were a matron head large cent and a "wood's" Hibernia half penny (1722 to 1724)

BTV Digger
01-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Most excellent finds Dan and congrats on the old coin! Fantastic that you can get out in January. I'm still months away unfortunately. The crotal bell also shined up quite nicely. Do you just use a brillo pad on them like I do?

John