PDA

View Full Version : Auto sensitivity off finds 4 silvers...

jkress
08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
After work today I wanted to venture outside of the Explorer factory modes. With one hour to hunt, I set the machine to Iron Mask 20 and Manual Sensitivity 24. What a different machine those settings made. Before the change, the machine never gave me the quiet tones I have heard everyone talking about.... the whisper of a good target.

With the new settings, I quickly found 4 silver items and 5 wheats in a 10x10 area I hunted to death with my 250 and even went over once with the Explorer with no good hits.
I did dig 3 deep pieces of iron and one of the Wheats was my second ever 1909, (second one in a week), at an honest 9 inches down. I was quite impressed. As with the previous 1909... no S or VDB. crying01

With these 3 coins, I'm beginning to think I might hit my goal of 50 silver coins again this year. I hit 51 last year and it seemed reasonable that I could do the same thing this year. I'm at 35 with plenty of swinging time left in the season. With the Minelab in my arsenal... I have a small hunch that I might easily get past my goal.

The ring is marked Sterling Kiddiegem. Based on the hallmarks, it is from Uncas Mfg. and looks to have been made between 1920 and 1940.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-8.jpg

We really need some rain here. The ground is getting very hard and the plugs struggle to survive. Hopefully we'll get a good soaker tonight and no rain tomorrow as Dave in Iowa and I are hoping to get out for a hunt together.

Cheap Thrills
08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Nice work , great coins and the ring is really sharp . Always liked silver rings with red stones , that's a very nice picture . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

coinnut
08-31-2010, 04:52 PM
That's a great looking ring with a gorgeous red colored stone!! Very nice. I have seen it time and time again that our sites are not hunted out, we just need to try new things. I bet you reach your goal now lol Nice going!! Thanks for sharing that story, it may help others with their Explorers.

angellionel
08-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Nice hunt! That is a pretty ring, and some sweet silver to accompany it. Trying out new settings is one of the things we need to remind ourselves to do, especially when working new sites where we don't seem to be doing well with our regular settings. With finds like those I believe you will easily surpass last year's total. :peace:

Epi-hunter
08-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Nice silver! I love the ring. Things are really dry here too. Not detecting weather for me :cheesysmile:

RobW
09-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Nice, can't wait to get my minelab...drooling over others finds...need to get deeper..I know they are there..darn clads!

dave in iowa
09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
great finds joe , no finds today, we got rained out , but we will hit it again maybe next week

milco
09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Real nice! Glad to hear that explorer is working well for you!