PDA

View Full Version : Golf Course Finds

aloldstuff
02-28-2018, 12:35 PM
A family member recently purchased a 18 hole golf course which will be destroyed and houses put up. Of course I have the rights to detect. I am extending an invitation to all forum members who might want to hunt this with me. Please PM me. I usually have tues, wed,thur off.

I believe that the course opened in 1920.

Here are some finds so far. the tootsie toy and the marble came from a different location.

So far 5 wheats, earliest being 1920. A 1917S merc and some misc items. Plus two Canadian pennies.

Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

Bucknut
02-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Wow! I have always wanted to detect a golf course. People use coins as ball markers for ever so who knows what you will find. I wish I could come and help.

Donnie B
02-28-2018, 04:24 PM
You are going to find some great coins at the golf course. I play golf and have even found a foreign silver coin laying on the green that someone was using as a ball marker. That's a good tip. Check the greens!

Full Metal Digger
02-28-2018, 05:27 PM
What's this Al, you're hunting for 20th century coins???? LOL. Sounds like a great place to detect. How much time do you have before they start dozing it? Best wishes and HH, Dave.

aloldstuff
02-28-2018, 05:38 PM
What's this Al, you're hunting for 20th century coins???? LOL. Sounds like a great place to detect. How much time do you have before they start dozing it? Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Dave, Not really sure of the time frame. I have seen new pipes sticking out of the ground on 3 holes so far. Also noted some red flags on another hole. Its a huge parcel of land and there is no way one person can handle it. Hopefully some old time golfer used a gold coin as a ball marker.........and lost it

Cooper
02-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Nice finds I would travel but I'm only off sat sun but thanks

Cheap Thrills
03-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Nice finds and congratulations on obtaining access to such an opportunity .It's mighty nice of you to an extend such a generous invitation . Best of luck to you and all who hunt there .

BTV Digger
03-02-2018, 09:56 PM
You're gonna do quite well there Al. Tee boxes and greens to start, then read the land etc. Where would balls tend to collect after drives off the tee, irons to the green etc. I've hunted an old golf Victorian-Era course with my friends Joe and Dan from Green Mountain Diggers (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFntiCJZXUR1QeRa94AU6g) and some really nice old coins have come out of there. Good luck!

John

aloldstuff
03-03-2018, 06:30 AM
[QUOTE=BTV Digger;221037]You're gonna do quite well there Al. Tee boxes and greens to start, then read the land etc. Where would balls tend to collect after drives off the tee, irons to the green etc. I've hunted an old golf Victorian-Era course with my friends Joe and Dan from Green Mountain Diggers (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFntiCJZXUR1QeRa94AU6g) and some really nice old coins have come out of there. Good luck!

Thanks John. I played the game of golf for 15 years and also played this course many times. Yes, the tees and greens 1st. Hope you are right about the old coins....:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
03-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Maybe you'll find that ball you lost :lol: I hunted an abandoned course and saw the tee boxes etc but couldn't even find a memorial. I'm glad yours is paying off!!

Ken C
03-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Congrats on a successful hunt!

Digger Don
03-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Best of luck to you out there. I'm sure there is a lot of silver laying out there!

aloldstuff
03-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Best of luck to you out there. I'm sure there is a lot of silver laying out there!

Thanks Don. Hopefully this tues oxshoedrew will be coming up to help me do this golf course. I have visions of SLQ,sand more importantly a gold coin (used as a ball marker).