PDA

View Full Version : First relics of the year include a nice LC

BTV Digger
03-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Hi all. Well, the itch finally got to me last weekend, and with only patches of snow on the ground (we largely missed the big storm last week) my hunting friend Joe from Green Mountain Diggers and I decided to hit a few permissions I recently got. We braved the 35 degree temperatures and winds long enough to pull a few relics and coins. Well Joe mainly found the coins (3 LCs, sorry - no pics) as I got skunked in that category. :bangahead02:Anyways, I did manage several buttons including a nice mid to late 1800s two piece hunting button with two pheasants on the front. Also nabbed a few buttons and yet another small crotal bell. :) After work today I headed back out for just a 1 1/2 hour hunt before sunset as this time we're on track to receive a foot of snow tomorrow night and Thursday. Ugh. Managed to pull a few more buttons from the muck and a really nice looking 1846 largie (small date variety). :happydance01:Also dug what I'm calling a colonial mouth guard (heap of lead). :lol: All the LCs came from my virgin site I first posted about last December. This makes 9 coppers from an area no larger than 30X30 yards. Can't wait to get back there once our future snow melts and the muck dries out a bit. The wife was aghast at the muck on my windbreaker and jeans when I returned earlier this evening! HH everyone!

John

Ken C
03-06-2018, 09:24 PM
That largie is in nice shape! I wish mine came out of the farm fields like that! Congrats! :beerbuddy:

Digger_O'Dell
03-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Great looking finds! Always love to see complete crotal. Good looking largie and sweet buttons too. Well done!

Lodge Scent
03-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Nice bunch of digs John. I've dug plenty of those colonial mouth guards myself. ;) Super little crotal, great button and interesting LC. You have to wonder why it was holed in that particular spot ?

aloldstuff
03-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Congrats on finally scratching that itch. Very nice looking LC. Great group of buttons and your crotol bell is a complete one. Looking forward to seeing your post about your return visit to this site.

DavidGC
03-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Didn't anyone tell you that we live in Northern Vermont, and we can't go MDing until after Mud Season?

You are an inspiration to us all, John!

OxShoeDrew
03-07-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm with the others...great digs, John! I just dug an 1845 largie that pales compared to that one. That crotal is the find of the hunts though!! Very impressive!

The Rebel
03-07-2018, 06:56 PM
WTG on the finds! It's always a great feeling when you dig a complete bell.

Cooper
03-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Some nice finds. That LC is in good shape for being in the ground for a long time. And that crotal bell is on my bucket list

calabash digger
03-07-2018, 09:44 PM
nice finds!

BTV Digger
03-08-2018, 09:31 AM
That largie is in nice shape! I wish mine came out of the farm fields like that! Congrats! :beerbuddy:

Thanks Ken! Yeah, this site has a lot clay mixed in with the loam and on top of a hill (drains well). That's probably why most of the coppers come out of the ground looking really nice there.

Great looking finds! Always love to see complete crotal. Good looking largie and sweet buttons too. Well done!

Thanks much! I certainly seem to be drawn to those crotals, as I've found quite a few over the past 3 years.

Nice bunch of digs John. I've dug plenty of those colonial mouth guards myself. ;) Super little crotal, great button and interesting LC. You have to wonder why it was holed in that particular spot ?

I thought the same Jeff. Weird why they would hole it on the side. Thanks for the comments.

Congrats on finally scratching that itch. Very nice looking LC. Great group of buttons and your crotol bell is a complete one. Looking forward to seeing your post about your return visit to this site.

Thanks Al. I'll definitely be back there. I also found two other very nice buttons that I somehow lost on my way back to the car before leaving, so those I'll be searching for when I return.

Didn't anyone tell you that we live in Northern Vermont, and we can't go MDing until after Mud Season?

You are an inspiration to us all, John!

Hey David! Hope winter has treated you well. We didn't get as much snow in the Champlain Valley this winter and the recent late winter thaws have laid the ground mainly bare here, that is until today as we're now coated in more of the white stuff.

I'm with the others...great digs, John! I just dug an 1845 largie that pales compared to that one. That crotal is the find of the hunts though!! Very impressive!

Hey Drew. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, as I mentioned to Ken that site drains really well so that's probably the reason why stuff is so preserved there.

WTG on the finds! It's always a great feeling when you dig a complete bell.

Thanks much. I've certainly been lucky in digging the crotals over the past 3 years.

Some nice finds. That LC is in good shape for being in the ground for a long time. And that crotal bell is on my bucket list

Thanks Cooper!

nice finds!

Thanks Calabash!

Oneil1979
03-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Full crotal and sharp looking largie! Nice hunt

del
03-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Great start to your season John , bet it was sure nice to get out ! you're going to do well this year I can feel it ! congrats

Dan

Caretaker
03-10-2018, 10:56 AM
real nice stuff, hope your pouch is full every time you go out

Donnie B
03-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Nice finds! I found a similar button a few weeks ago.63353

Digger Don
03-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Nice bunch of finds. that Largie looks to be in very nice shape.( they sure liked to put holes in them, didn't they?)
The buttons are cool as well :congrats:

BTV Digger
03-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Full crotal and sharp looking largie! Nice hunt

Thanks much!

Great start to your season John , bet it was sure nice to get out ! you're going to do well this year I can feel it ! congrats

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yeah, I'm feeling this year will be a decent one for me.

real nice stuff, hope your pouch is full every time you go out

Thanks Caretaker!

Nice finds! I found a similar button a few weeks ago.63353

Thanks Donny! Neat that you found the same button. Is the piece on the right part of it too? Mine was just a simple two piece back stamped Waterbury Button Co.

Nice bunch of finds. that Largie looks to be in very nice shape.( they sure liked to put holes in them, didn't they?)
The buttons are cool as well :congrats:

Thanks Don. Yeah, holed LCs seem to be quite common, though this is only my second of those. Being a clean hole on the edge leads me to believe it was worn on a string, maybe as a part of a necklace or bracelet. House was gone by 1869 so everything at this site is really old. The LC is the newest of all the coins that I've found there.

Robbie
03-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Sorry I missed this ,great finds, I love the bell and LC, buttons are sweet too