PDA

View Full Version : First Hunt in Germany. Roman, Medieval, WW2

Full Metal Digger
03-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Hey diggers!
Got in my first detecting experience in Germany today! I met up with Tom and Russ and they took me to a wooded mountain (think really big hill). According to them just about every single hilltop around here has evidence of earlier occupations. We met at 8:00 a.m. and carpooled in Tom's van to the base of the hill (berg) and hiked in swinging as we walked. Russ got the first find, a nice big Roman bronze coin! Then Tom pulled a 1700's kruezer. Then I got a big fat nothing.

It took me a good 2 hours to get my ear "dialed in." This kind of detecting is different than what I am used to. The signals are fainter and trashy sounding. I had my screen wide-open so I could hear every signal. All I could hear was the constant hum of the threshold with occasional little grunts. There are no classic 12-47 signals. In fact, the numbers are completely useless I found out. My first good target was a mid-tone 19-23 and turned out to be a flat button. As the day went on I was getting better at hearing the little signals but the finds were few and far between.

Of course, Russ and Tom were killing it with 1600s and 1700s coins (which by the way are very small and thin). Russ found 3 early French copper coins and a couple 20th century German coins. Tom got a coin spill with an 1876 silver 1 mark & copper 1 pfennig. My last 2 signals of the day were the best finds for me. A medieval thimble and then a Roman hobnail. The Romans would put tacks on the bottom of their sandals to improve traction.

All in all it was a very fun outing but now I am so sore I can barely move! Here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
03-10-2018, 07:53 PM
That's incredible, awesome finds from a great span of time!. What you said about the detector numbers, I heard something a while back about American and European machine versions being tuned a lot different. Guess that goes to show why. Good luck on your next adventure, and looking forward to reading about your next hoard find!

Digger Don
03-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Awesome Dave!! That thimble alone would have made my day.:wow: and to think, you hunted all day and no Memorial pennies.LOL.
It's great that you have a couple of hunting buddies already, That should make the transition A whole lt easier!!
Congrats on all the cool finds. I hope you brought some display cases with you, I think you're going to need them!!
Best of luck on the next hunt.
Take care, Don

Ken C
03-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Very cool! Congrats on a great day! :beerbuddy:

The Rebel
03-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Das ist gut! WTG on scoring those goodies. What's the back story on the 50cal shells, battle or aircraft?

Lodge Scent
03-10-2018, 09:12 PM
That didn't take long DD. Great finds.

Full Metal Digger
03-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Good luck on your next adventure, and looking forward to reading about your next hoard find!

Thanks! There is an unwritten rule here that if you find a cache of old coins and you're hunting with your buddies, you get 60% and they split the other 40% between them. If you want to keep all the coins, you give the cash value of the 40% to your buddies.

Awesome Dave!! That thimble alone would have made my day. I hope you brought some display cases with you, I think you're going to need them!!
You're right Don, the thimble was definitely my find of the day. And yes, I did ship some display cases!

Very cool! Congrats on a great day! :beerbuddy:

Thanks Ken!

Das ist gut! WTG on scoring those goodies. What's the back story on the 50cal shells, battle or aircraft?

Now that you mention it, the shells were spread out quite a bit so perhaps from an aircraft is most likely. We did find a couple linkages but they were really spread out also. We didn't find any other military relics so I don't think a battle occurred there.

OxShoeDrew
03-10-2018, 10:13 PM
That's very interesting about the sounds. Everyone using etracs? Congrats on the ridiculously old finds! These people speak English....do you speak some German?

Cheap Thrills
03-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Awesome, you hit he ground running .I can't wait to see your future finds .

Cooper
03-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Man that's awesome sounds like you guys had some fun

aloldstuff
03-11-2018, 05:15 AM
Dave, with your detecting skills you will have it mastered in no time. It must be a good feeling knowing that you have the opportunity to dig some really old history. Also great that you already have some detecting buds. Some nice finds for your 1st detecting outing over there. Looking forward to seeing pics of the hoard.....

del
03-11-2018, 07:31 PM
your transitioning just fine Dave , I love the open end thimble (we occasionally find them here) they are old but the Roman hobnail and coin your buddy found open up some interesting possibilities ! Congrats Dave

wisconsin digger
03-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Great finds great history. Seems like everyone is heading overseas. Hope you have continued luck. WD

Tony Two-Cent
03-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Fascinating variety of finds, Dave! I think the medieval thimble is my favorite. So much history over there! Many incredible finds await you. I suppose in those conditions you should dig virtually every signal. I can't wait to see what you find over the next three years!

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
03-14-2018, 10:49 AM
That didn't take long DD. Great finds.

Thanks! I was lucky that someone over here knew me from my YouTube Channel and reached out to me!

That's very interesting about the sounds. Everyone using etracs? Congrats on the ridiculously old finds! These people speak English....do you speak some German?

I was the only e-trac (borrowed at that). They all Love XP Deus over here. The only German I know is "Beir Bitte!"

Awesome, you hit he ground running .I can't wait to see your future finds .

Thanks, I think this will be a fun 3 years.

Man that's awesome sounds like you guys had some fun

We did! Tom and Russ are Americans living over here just like me and we were doing a good job of ribbing each other. You know how us midwest boys are!

Dave, with your detecting skills you will have it mastered in no time. It must be a good feeling knowing that you have the opportunity to dig some really old history. Also great that you already have some detecting buds. Some nice finds for your 1st detecting outing over there. Looking forward to seeing pics of the hoard.....

Thanks for the kind words Al. When I see the stuff they find EVERY weekend I just can't believe I'll be doing that too!

your transitioning just fine Dave , I love the open end thimble (we occasionally find them here) they are old but the Roman hobnail and coin your buddy found open up some interesting possibilities ! Congrats Dave

Thanks Del, I didn't mention they also found several beautiful Roman spikes and nails. I was skipping the iron signals and now realize what a huge mistake that was! Those Roman spikes are hand-forged and so elegant looking. They look like the kind used in crucifixion.

Great finds great history. Seems like everyone is heading overseas. Hope you have continued luck. WD

Thanks WD! When I got offered a 3-year job over here I jumped at it.

Fascinating variety of finds, Dave! I think the medieval thimble is my favorite. So much history over there! Many incredible finds await you. I suppose in those conditions you should dig virtually every signal. I can't wait to see what you find over the next three years!

Thanks Tony! I had dinner with Tom and he was going on about how much he liked "Tony Two-Cent's videos!" I said "You know he's my friend, right?" He didn't know we were detecting partners. LOL.