PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detecting in the snow in Germany

Full Metal Digger
03-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Hey Diggers! Today was wicked cold with wind and snow. Tom and Russ talked me into going out even though it was only 25 degrees and really windy. I'm glad I decided to go (after they guilted me). We went to the same patch of woods as last weekend. A lot of Roman and late medieval has come out of these woods. I dug up a few shotgun shells and some stray brass but no real good signals the first 2 hours. As we were working our way back to the car we hit a hot spot with some coin signals.

In between two saplings I got a strong signal at 4 inches. The numbers were crazy (22-38 on my borrowed e-trac) but you can't go by the numbers on these older coins. Out pops 3 small coins! A 2 pfennig and two 1 pfennigs. My first coins and my first coin spill in Germany! The coins here get a hard black crust on them and it's difficult to see any detail until you can get them home and toothpick them.

We went to another set of woods and I only got one good signal but it was another coin. It turned out to be a WW2 era 10 Reichspfennig. I had a great time once again and I'm grateful to Tom and Russ for taking me under their wing and letting me go to their sites with them. Here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
03-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Very cool finds! You don't see the pre WWII coins very often. The Nazi coinage I remember from when I was a kid. My grandfather escaped Germany right before the war, but brought over a pocket full of those coins.

Digger Don
03-18-2018, 09:14 PM
And it begins. Lol
Congrats on your first German coins.
You missed the 1800s by only one year!
I'm really looking forward to seeing your posts!
Best of luck on all your future hunts!!!

Lodge Scent
03-19-2018, 07:28 AM
Now there's a pocket spill most of us will never accomplish. Pretty cool.

Tony Two-Cent
03-19-2018, 09:40 AM
That coin spill is wonderful, Dave. I am jealous of all the terrific finds that await you in Germany. You're just barely out of the starting gate and both of your hunts have produced nice finds.

Good job!

:congrats:

aloldstuff
03-21-2018, 05:03 AM
Off and running in a foreign country, bad weather, borrowed detector. Nothing stops Superdave. Well done, waiting for future posts.

Ill Digger
03-21-2018, 08:41 PM
I found one of those 2 phennig coins a few years ago. They're cool looking coins! And they get that same green patina as IHs do.
Congrats on the 2 new firsts! :thumbsup02:
I can't wait to see your first REALLY old find from over there. If they've been finding Romans in those areas, it's only a matter of time till you get over some too!

Just a tip, I'm sure you already know, but dig everything! I dug a small Roman bronze coin while in England that came in a 14-05. A signal that you'd normally dismiss, but over there you never know! :thumbsup01: