PDA

View Full Version : Buttons for the day

del
03-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Donnie and I went back to the site we had hit last weekend (where I found my last shoe buckle and two coppers) but this week it was definitely Donnie's turn to do well there . It was early and pretty chilly :frozen: and the picture really doesn't show to well we had some snow squalls passing through on and off 63487 at one time the snow was almost at white out conditions but only lasted for a few seconds , very odd! In the field where Donnie hit his hot spot I only managed a couple of buttons (one being a beautiful silver plated dandy 63488, half a horse bit and boss . Later at another site I found a beautiful rose designed button 63489and I suspected it had a lot of gilt hiding under the dirty grime stains . This site saved me from going home without a coin too the 1859 indian head sounding much like a shotgun shell but only a few feet away I got another similar sounding target and it turned out to be my first "Federal revenue cutter" button 6349063491The Revenue cutters were ships who collected taxes on the "high seas" and later turned into the U.S. Coast Guard you can read more here about the cutter service https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Revenue_Cutter_Service .

My day also had a few other relics and it wasn't a bad day at all by any means 63492 and total finds 63493.

The buttons cleaned up pretty well some before and after6348863494

The weather is getting nice to hunt ! get out there soon !

Dan

aloldstuff
03-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Great assortment of keepers. Those buttons really cleaned up quite nice. Very interesting that the federal revenue cutter button was your first one of those. The weather is turning, and its in our favor.....:happy:

fyrffytr1
03-28-2018, 03:37 PM
I dream of hunts like that. Way to go.

Lodge Scent
03-28-2018, 06:05 PM
A couple of great buttons there Dan :thumbsup01:

Donnie B
03-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Incredible finds my friend! That stunning silver plated button is evidence that the colonist who wore it had some means. I also didn't realize that the Revenue button was one of the older "oval" shaped designs! I love it! Congrats again my friend! What a day!

OxShoeDrew
03-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Great cutter button , Dan!!! Any ticks yet? :congrats:

del
03-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Great cutter button , Dan!!! Any ticks yet? :congrats:Drew , Donnie an I haven't seen a tick in a very long while . of course we religiously spray ourselves before heading out into the woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Digger Don
04-01-2018, 07:48 AM
Congrats on a great bunch of finds Dan.
I love those buttons, great job on the cleaning.
I'm happy to hear that the weather is getting better for you !

BTV Digger
04-05-2018, 07:02 PM
The buttons certainly ruled the day for you Dan. Just some great early examples and congrats on your first Cutter Service button! I'd love to find a maritime related button up here as there was some great Rev War naval action on Lake Champlain.

John

Ill Digger
04-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Not only were buttons the story of the day, they're some pretty unique buttons at that! Nice saves Dan!
Congrats! :grin:
The weather don't know what it wants to so here. It bounces back and forth from 25 to 45 every other day! :hairpulling: :hairpulling: :hairpulling: