PDA

View Full Version : UK Tour Best Finds and “THE SHORT CROSS HOARD”

Ken C
03-28-2018, 04:35 PM
UK Tour Best Finds and “THE SHORT CROSS HOARD”

What an adventure! The last two weeks digging in the UK with Chris Langston from Metal Detecting Holidays, Brandon Ray Neice (aka DrTones), Rick Lesquier and Nathan Dinning was amazing. Not only did I dig two bucket listers (roman and hammered), I made lifelong friendships….and oh yea, we FOUND A HOARD!

My best 5 finds of the trip were:
#1 - the second King John Short Cross hammered (1199-1216)

#2 - Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s)

#3 - the first King John Short Cross hammered (1199-1216)

#4 - Queen Elizabeth I hammered (1570s approx.)

#5 - Roman Grot (researching)

THE SHORT CROSS HOARD

International Metal Detectorists discover medieval scattered short cross coin hoard at a undisclosed location in North Shropshire!

Finding a hoard is a metal detectorists dream find and everyone involved in the discovery are very happy to have saved 800 years of history!

All 14 coins are short cross silver which date 1180AD to 1247AD and were found by:

Carlotta Brandenburg
Jocelyn Elizabeth
Beau Ouimette
Tim Saylor
Brandon Ray Neice
Ken Cunliffe
Chris Langston

Shropshire Finds Liaison officer Peter Reavill is dealing with the recording of the hoard.

When the short-cross penny was introduced in 1180, This style remained more or less unaltered until 1247, which gave both the coinage and the state a sense of stability. The practice of placing the moneyer's name and mint on the reverse continued, though the reduction in the number of mints enabled better quality control to be applied. The Tealby coins bear the obverse inscriptions HENRI REX ANG, HENRI REX AN, HENRI R ANG, HENRI REX, HENRI REX A, or HENRI REX – Henry King of England, or King Henry, while the short-cross pennies are inscribed HENRICUS REX. Short-cross coins were minted at Carlisle, Exeter, Lincoln, London, Northampton, Norwich, Oxford, Wilton, Winchester, Worcester, and York.

Bucknut
03-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Thanks for sharing this! Must of been an amazingly fun trip! Do you think you will get to keep your coins that you found?

Digger_O'Dell
03-28-2018, 10:22 PM
That's just incredible! Sounds like an awesome trip overall. Just out of curiosity, who actually got their coil over the hoard?

del
03-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Truly a hunt of a lifetime Ken !:perfect10:great finds and pictures .

Ken C
03-29-2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks for sharing this! Must of been an amazingly fun trip! Do you think you will get to keep your coins that you found?

Thanks! It is my understanding that our coins will be sent to us in about 9-12 months. It does not appear they will be claiming them.

That's just incredible! Sounds like an awesome trip overall. Just out of curiosity, who actually got their coil over the hoard?

The previous group of Carlotta (1), Jocelyn (1), Beau (4) and Tim (1) recovered 7 and Brandon (5) and I (2) recovered 7

Once Brandon and I found an additional 7 coins to total 14 in the same small area, the Shropshire Finds Liaison officer gave very specific instructions to not dig any deep signals. We were told to mark them for his team to recover. He also communicated that if we popped a plug with 2+ coins in the same hole, to stop digging and contact his office.

Truly a hunt of a lifetime Ken !great finds and pictures .

Thanks! It really was an adventure, so happy I made the journey. I'm trying to go back this September, or at worst next March/April.

Donnie B
03-29-2018, 07:51 AM
WOW! I would be walking on Cloud 9 for a long time after that hunt! Congratulations! Stunning finds!

Ill Digger
03-30-2018, 05:56 AM
It really was a adventure, so happy I made the journey. I'm trying to go back this September, or at worst next March/April.

At worst? :lol:
I totally get it! :yes: I keep trying to justify going back sooner than September 2019. :lol: Its crazy to us new worlders to find things 1400+ years older than our country. And quite frequently!
Awesome hunt Ken!
Congrats! :grin:

The Rebel
03-30-2018, 07:00 AM
Truly the hunt of a life time! It must be a thrill to dig something that old and then hold it on your hands.