PDA

View Full Version : OMG - - What a Hunt

aloldstuff
03-29-2018, 12:45 PM
Met up with Steve and Mike again at the golf course. I personally have never had a hunt like this....I.m speechless, that's why I am typing. :lol:

Yesterday I went to the course for about 2 hours. Got a 41s merc and a nice flat button.
Today I managed 10 silvers and they will include rosies, mercs, barber and I am darn sure a seated quarter.

The rosies are 46,46,50,51 and 47.
Mercs, 35d,40
Washington quarter, 1935
Barber quarter, 1899
Seated quarter, ????

Quarter trifecta...:happy:

I am going to need some forum help here guys. If you look at the picture of the seated, I hope you can see what I see. The outline of the seated eagle and an "s" mint mark. I also got what I think is a copper??? The copper and the seated were stuck together and have some serious crud on them. I need to know how to clean these two coins.....by the way, never got a seated quarter before.

UPDATE - - Seated quarter is a 1877S

8 wheat's - 44,53d,52d,46,56d,45,48,56.

The relics are popping out on a regular basis. Let me know if anyone thinks the buckle on the right is an old one. Also got a nice looking key and the glass object with a design in it....any ideas of what this is.

All this was found on just one fairway....the 1st hole

Thanks for reading, looking for help, HH everyone

Tony Two-Cent
03-29-2018, 01:05 PM
All I can say is... :wow:

That is definitely a Seated Quarter, Al! Congrats on your first! I agree that it looks like an "S" mint mark. What does the other side of it look like?

The round object with glass in it is probably a horse bridle rosette. (I can't tell how big it is in your photo.)

AMAZING HUNT! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
03-29-2018, 01:20 PM
That is definitely a Seated Quarter, Al! Congrats on your first! I agree that it looks like an "S" mint mark. What does the other side of it look like?

Much worse.....ugh

Thanks for id's

Bucknut
03-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Whoa! Those are great finds! Yep that is a Seated Quarter!

Full Metal Digger
03-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Congrats on the seated quarter. Try some tin foil, baking soda and boiling water. Might take several efforts to get it clean enough to be presentable.

Tony Two-Cent
03-29-2018, 03:25 PM
I agree with DaddyDigger. I would use this method:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?696-Method-To-Remove-Sulfide-From-Silver

Only on the silver coin though, not the copper.

Ken C
03-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Great hunt and congrats on the seated! :beerbuddy:

Digger_O'Dell
03-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Lots of great finds, and congrats on the quarter trifecta! As for cleaning that crud, an ultrasonic cleaner might be best for that chunky stuff, then the foil method for any other residue. My have to go between the 2 methods a few times for best results.

OxShoeDrew
03-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Al!!! Is that a batwing buckle to the right in the 4th pic? What a SUPER hunt!! I sooooo wanted to go with you today!! The 1st hole is on the same side of the road as the club house? :cheering: The dancing cheerleader is saved for special hunts! :lol: Huge congrats, Al!

Cheap Thrills
03-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Great hunt Al !! Congrats on a silver haul that is totally a mindblower !!:thumbsup01::thumbsup01::thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
03-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Al!!! Is that a batwing buckle to the right in the 4th pic? What a SUPER hunt!! I sooooo wanted to go with you today!! The 1st hole is on the same side of the road as the club house? :cheering: The dancing cheerleader is saved for special hunts! :lol: Huge congrats, Al!

I think so....just waiting for someone to confirm

Donnie B
03-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Holy Batman Buckle! Nice Seated! You guys are killing it! Can't wait to see the total for all 18 holes. I play golf and asked my local course if I could detect but they refused. There was a Boy Scout camp there before the course and I thought it would be cool to find some relics of the camp.

aloldstuff
03-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Holy Batman Buckle! Nice Seated! You guys are killing it! Can't wait to see the total for all 18 holes. I play golf and asked my local course if I could detect but they refused. There was a Boy Scout camp there before the course and I thought it would be cool to find some relics of the camp.

Thanks Donnie, so is that a bat wing buckle??

Donnie B
03-29-2018, 07:39 PM
Thanks Donnie, so is that a bat wing buckle??

After looking at it again, I am second guessing myself. I now think that it's not a bat wing buckle. We need Del to look at it.

del
03-30-2018, 02:38 AM
Outstanding hunt Al , any idea what the copper stuck to the seated was ?? CLR will take any corrosion off and won't hurt the silver , the buckle doesn't look terribly old (maybe 1800's ) I'm putting in for your next scheduled group hunt to the golf course ! ;)

aloldstuff
03-30-2018, 04:56 AM
Outstanding hunt Al , any idea what the copper stuck to the seated was ?? CLR will take any corrosion off and won't hurt the silver , the buckle doesn't look terribly old (maybe 1800's ) I'm putting in for your next scheduled group hunt to the golf course ! ;)

Dan, I haven't tried to clean the copper yet. Should I use straight CLR or dilute it? Thanks for the info on the buckle. Weather permiting.....Tuesday is the next hunt and, hope to see you there.

del
03-30-2018, 05:27 AM
Dan, I haven't tried to clean the copper yet. Should I use straight CLR or dilute it? Thanks for the info on the buckle. Weather permiting.....Tuesday is the next hunt and, hope to see you there.

You could let the seated ( seated only) sit in a half n half mixture for about 10 or 15 minutes at a time followed by a light tooth brushing and rinse , repeat if necessary . the coin may get a little greyish in tone but again it won't hurt the silver . You just may see me there Al .

The Rebel
03-30-2018, 07:23 AM
Awesome job! You really got a hole in 1, LOL!

wisconsin digger
03-30-2018, 04:37 PM
Great hunt, you found more silver in one hunt then I have found all year. Congrats to all. WD

aloldstuff
03-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I'm just hoping that the rest of the course is as good...

What I am waiting for is the big silver and some SLQ's

Donnie B
03-30-2018, 09:17 PM
I bet you will find a gold ring before you find big silver. There are probably several gold rings out there.

Ill Digger
03-30-2018, 10:47 PM
I bet you will find a gold ring before you find big silver. There are probably several gold rings out there.
My thoughts exactly Donnie! You know there's gotta be a couple gold rings laying out there waiting. Probably a couple of nice gold and silver chains too!
You killed it Al!
Congrats! :grin:
Keep pounding it! I wish it wasn't a 14 hour drive or I'd go with you guys.:lol:

aloldstuff
03-31-2018, 05:08 AM
My thoughts exactly Donnie! You know there's gotta be a couple gold rings laying out there waiting. Probably a couple of nice gold and silver chains too!
You killed it Al!
Congrats! :grin:
Keep pounding it! I wish it wasn't a 14 hour drive or I'd go with you guys.:lol:

I hope you and Donnie are right about the rings and chains.
Tim, it would be great seeing you again so lets not let a measly 14 hour drive stop you from getting your fair share of the loot....:detecting:

Lodge Scent
03-31-2018, 11:52 AM
Yow! That was a fantastic hunt. Good one Al!

Noxman
03-31-2018, 06:36 PM
Al you totally slammed it what a great hunt. Of course me an my Equinox are spoiled for ever now. When it's over this hunt will provide a metal detecting memory of a life time. Here is my take for the day minus a buckle I forgot to take a pic of. The oval silver piece is odd I'm not sure what it is.https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/?ui=2&ik=9b175fe005&view=fimg&th=1627e04348e792e3&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_66mudTYzmp8RfPnzv53iLhIA1-dChuiRribr35vhshzwBG8qs4PYnuoa0S8wEMy95ayolG78xtjK kUzIb42Fh9gJV1hpNZ7N7JpnClknKaXklFsaV04xQTmk&ats=1522539285158&rm=1627e04348e792e3&zw&sz=w1920-h888

Mr. Digger
04-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Congrats on an amazing hunt!

Digger Don
04-01-2018, 07:26 AM
I think it's all been said already but :wow:!!!!
So many amazing finds. I've never heard of anyone digging a copper/seated spill before, How cool is that!! :clapping:
Congrats on your first Seated Quarter.
Get back out there. I can't wait to see what you post next.