PDA

View Full Version : Found a ring today and was able to return it to the owner - coincidence

Schrecky
09-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Today I decided to get in one more end of the season water hunt at my favorite park, Presque Isle State Park in Erie, PA. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/presqueisle.aspx The park is about 35 miles from where I live. From the dig spots in the sand I could tell that the beaches had been recently hunted. The waves were high enough that I could only get out about waist deep. After about an hour of hunting I scooped up a titanium wedding band. There was a name and date engraved on the outside of the ring. http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/dschreckengost/Metal%20Detecting/Ring2.jpg http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/dschreckengost/Metal%20Detecting/Ring1.jpg

With an attendance of more than 4 million visitors a year at the park, I thought I might not have much luck finding the ring's owner. When I got home I pulled out our phone book which includes phone numbers for Erie, PA. Low and behold there was a matching name in the phone book and the person lived in a small village about 5 miles from where I live. I called him up and during the conversation I learned that the ring belonged to his wife. She was at the beach a few weeks ago and threw a stone into the lake and her wedding band followed it into the water. She was not home when I took the ring to them so I returned it to her husband. He had talked to his wife and they were pretty happy to get the ring back and couldn't believe I had found it.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/dschreckengost/Metal%20Detecting/Ring3.jpg

He offered me a small reward which I declined BUT I did get permission to hunt the yard of their 100+ year old home. :happydance01:

coinnut
09-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Wow everyone wins lol He gets his wife's ring back, doesn't have to pay you any money and you get to detect his 100+ year old house :shocked04: perfect ending to a perfect day :clapping:

Epi-hunter
09-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Great photo and story!!! And as George said, that is a terrific arrangement!

Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming story! :)

yazoo
09-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Way to go Schrecky .Job well done with rewards yet to be found. H.H. Yazoo

kenfen
09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
That's a great way to promote our hobby. If I ever find a ring I'd do the same thing. Great story

Regards, ken

jkress
09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Awesome!!! A big 'ol Good for you!!.

I sure hope karma swings back around for you.

Please let us know how the yard hunt goes.... I'm very interested to hear how it turns out.

Thanks for the story and doing a great deed.

zrickkid
09-15-2010, 04:29 PM
That was a nice thing you did thumbsup01. Its does give detectorists a good bit of pub and im sure the owners wife was very happy. That being said good luck on the future hunts in that yard.

RobW
09-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Nice job, hopefully you'll get your reward in his yard!

rsarge1
09-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Very nice story theres no better feeling than returing something like that to the owners and seeing that look on thier faces . wtg

leslie(nova scotia)
09-25-2010, 10:28 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....youz da man! This hobby can always use a shot in the arm. Gudj ob me son!

Napa Steve
12-22-2010, 01:22 AM
How cool is that, thanks for sharing your adventure thumbsup01

exsquid
12-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Very Nice...It is good when a ring can find its way back home...That is one good deed, for sure...

odave
12-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Awesome !! Just think of the Joy they have that You provided !!
Well done and Great Pic's !! and congrats on getting to hunt their Yard !!

Dimeman
12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Great job !! 8)

Just got on here ( forum newbie) and looking around and saw your post...

So did you search the 100 year old house yet:huh:thinkingabout:

giant056
12-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Way to go on the ring return Shrecky thumbsup01

Nitro 54
12-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Nice story and congrats on finding the owner

channelmaniac
12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Nice!!!!

Which detector did you find it with?

If you found it with a White's detector you can send the story in with pictures (and some nice words like thanks for making such a great detector!) to them and if they use in their marketing materials or publish it to the web site they'll give you a $100 gift certficate to buy merchandise off their web site.

Raymond

Salty Dog
01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Feels real good returning a ring or other treasured item to their owner,did it this last year to a 12 year old girl,I got a hug and Cookies for my reward...You are a good man,and the Karma from is not bad either....hope the yard was loaded,Dave

Carl in Louisiana
01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Nice!!!!

Which detector did you find it with?

If you found it with a White's detector you can send the story in with pictures (and some nice words like thanks for making such a great detector!) to them and if they use in their marketing materials or publish it to the web site they'll give you a $100 gift certficate to buy merchandise off their web site.

Raymond

Picture Perfect story !!! thumbsup01 I was thinking the same thing but you beat me to it. 8) 8)

DaleGM
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
thats what its all about,thanks for sharing :angelic:

IDXit
01-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Very good find and return...awesome ....That's what it's all about and you get the gold star for the day... thumbsup01 :clapping: <: :peace:

russellt
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
awesome . i hope that yard is just flat loaded..