PDA

View Full Version : A little Medieval and 1700s this weekend

Full Metal Digger
04-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Hey Diggers,
I spent about 12 hours this weekend swinging in the woods. The detecting is SO different here. I just wander aimlessly through the woods looking for signs of human activity (iron signals) and then work that area. It might be an hour or more between signals. The good news is the signals are almost always something good. I still haven't found any old coins but I did find a few musket balls and flat buttons. I also got another early shoe buckle. Here's some pics, thanks for looking!

aloldstuff
04-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Sounds like persistence is the key word for detecting over there. Good job on your finds. The coins...they are acomin. :thumbsup02:

Digger Don
04-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Thats a bunch of nice finds Dave. They sure beat the heck out of harmonica reeds.LOL
I really like those buttons and buckle.
I wish I could be there when you dig your first hammered coin. You're going to do back flips!!
I got your text, are you getting my replies?

del
04-01-2018, 03:04 PM
The detecting sounds more like relic hunting when you were out here , the finds aren't plentiful but the quality can be so much better , your going to have an impressive and beautiful shoe buckle collection very soon the buttons look similar to tombacs in coloration and appearance , these are always a great sign of a good area . well done Dave :cheering:

Donnie B
04-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Nice shoe buckle and you got a pair of nice buttons too!

Fire Fighter 43
04-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Those are some great looking finds Dave. I’m jealous that you have all this ancient ground to hunt. Good luck and I’m looking forward to your next post.

wisconsin digger
04-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Great photos and great finds. You looked to have really enjoyed the trip. Congrats. WD

Tony Two-Cent
04-05-2018, 04:38 PM
More super old items in one week than you've found in 30 years in Illinois! :thumbsup01:

That complete shoe buckle is awesome. Keep it up, Dave! I love seeing those incredibly old relics from Germany! :yes:

BTV Digger
04-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Excellent Dave. Patience and persistence - just like hunting in the woods and cellar holes up here in New England! But the finds can be much, much older. Man, that is a great looking shoe buckle! Still looking for my first.

John