PDA

View Full Version : Short hunt after work

Full Metal Digger
04-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Hey Diggers,
The village I'm staying in dates back to the 13th century. Right behind my apartment is a wooded hill of several 100s of acres. It occurred to me that there was probably some activity up there over the centuries. So I drove 1/2 mile and parked at the base of the hill and then hiked in a few hundred feet.

Right away I started getting musket balls and flat buttons! I also got a very early blow hole button (I'm thinking it's French) and it probably dates from the mid 1600s to the mid 1700s! Del can correct me if I'm wrong! LOL. I also got what I think is an early strap end with some fancy on it. I could be wrong about that though. I found another pipe lid! This one looks much older than the other one so maybe early 1800s if I'm lucky.

I was out for about 2 hours and found 15 musket balls! It makes me wonder if that's a sign of military activity because I usually only find 1 or 2 for a whole day. Anyway, here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Ill Digger
04-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Yeah, that's a lot of lead. :yes: Who knows, could've been a base camp of some sort? Other than a couple of the musket balls, they mostly look like "drops".
Defiantly plenty of human activity in the area. So where's the coins? :confused: I'm sure they'll show up. Hopefully a nice Roman silver or even better a nice Roman gold!
Congrats! :grin:
Good luck on your next visit there Dave! :thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
04-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Drove a half mile, how cool is that. Some nice finds and some coins will be popping soon. So envious.....:envious:

Fire Fighter 43
04-07-2018, 03:36 PM
That is a great! Looks like you have a go to spot when you only have a short time to hunt. Good luck when you return.

BTV Digger
04-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Great job Dave - reminds me a bit like New England woods but much older! Congrats on that handful of musketballs! That's about the total number I've ever found. The decorative piece is a clog clip for an old shoe I believe. Keep finding the goods!

John

Digger Don
04-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Looks like you happened upon a great spot Dave. That must been fun digging all those musket balls.
Nice buttons too!!
I'm glad you're doing so well over there!
Keep it up buddy, on to the next!

Cheap Thrills
04-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Nice going on your finds .

wisconsin digger
04-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Nice hunt. We had the same idea as I spent the chilly afternoon hunting an old courthouse I grew up near. Congrats WD