PDA

View Full Version : Detecting With Tony Two-Cent and Digger Al

Digger Don
04-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Friday was my son's 18th birthday and at dinner he told me he wanted to go out for some detecting Saturday. I called Tony and asked if he would like to join us and unlike a lot of the house we knocked on Saturday, I Got a Yes!!

We met up at an 1891 courthouse at about 8:00AM. My very first good target was a wheat and my second was a my first silver of the day, a 1912-D Barber dime. After that, it slowed down to nothing but clad. But before we left, I did get a nice 12-45 and dug a very small piece of silver from the University of Illinois. It looked like it should have been attached to someting bigger so back in the hole I went. I was right, in the same hole was the ring it came off of.

Alec dug two indians there, an 1886 and a 1906.

After the courthouse, we started door knocking and boy was it rough, tons of no answers!!
We did a get into a few yards. Tony took the prize for the most silvers, but I did manage a 1959-D Rosie, a 1935 Washington and 3 tokens from the Star bakery, all from the same yard.

The last house of the day I pulled an older watch FOB. at first I thought it was from the YMCA but then realized that the large Y on it represented the three branches of the chicago river.

All in all it was a great day hunting with Alec and Tony. Thanks Guys!!

Cheap Thrills
04-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Great finds ! A Washington quarter from the 30's or 40's was always a special find for me , now finding a red (oxidized) one with the eagle on back is (lol) . I remember the days when permissions were easy to get also , not any more .

Tony Two-Cent
04-08-2018, 02:45 PM
It was great hunting with you and Alec, Don! I love that fob! Very cool. The silver U of I ring is a great find also.

Alec got the oldest coin and you got the oldest silver and the only silver quarter of the day. Good job! :clapping:

Digger_O'Dell
04-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Nice catch on that silver ring! Also a nice couple old coins, and those tokens are cool. Five cents for a loaf of bread dates them to around 1910.

Fire Fighter 43
04-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Cool ring Don, congrats on a nice hunt.

aloldstuff
04-08-2018, 05:02 PM
WTG on piecing that ring back together. We here in MA sorely lack in finding tokens so I always appreciate it when others post them. You and your group always get some neat goodies. What do you think the reason is behind all the "no's"?

Digger Don
04-08-2018, 06:14 PM
WTG on piecing that ring back together. We here in MA sorely lack in finding tokens so I always appreciate it when others post them. You and your group always get some neat goodies. What do you think the reason is behind all the "no's"?

It wasn't so much the no's as it was all the no answers. I bet 80% of the house I knocked at no one answered the door!!

Full Metal Digger
04-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Nice assortment of finds Don. I'm glad you were able to meet up with Tony. I can't wait to go look at his post! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Ill Digger
04-08-2018, 09:25 PM
You had a good hunt overall Don! :thumbsup02:
The ring is a sweet find! And of course I'm really liking the the tokens! And you got 3 of them!
Looks like a pocket full of fun to me!
Congrats! :grin:

MIKE54
04-09-2018, 08:21 AM
My favorite hunts are the ones with a wide variety of finds, and I agree with Al, we hardly find any tokens in New England so great hunt!